• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Backlighting

curefan

Hi...
Ive never used backlighting before, but am thinking of doing so. Ill have to do it before i put my new tank in position, as there will be wall tight up to each side of the tank. Also im planning on putting a frosted backing on my back glass.

My questions are....

What is the best positions for a back light and best way to mount it?
What sort of light can you use....ordinary aquarium tubes (can you just leave them on the floor behind the tank facing up?)?
Do white bulbs give the proper affect or do you need to use coloured ones? :crazy:

Thanks, Dave.

Hi Dave

The best way to backlight for your individual set-up is really through trial and error.

T8 or T5 fluoresent with reflector across the length of the aquarium is popular. You can use the reflector to adjust the light hitting the back wall. How you attached the tube to the rear of the aquarium is up to you. Improvisation may be required.

Colour rendition of the bulbs is down to personal taste and what suits your aquascape and interior styling.

Cheers,
George

For backlighting, has anyone used colour-changing RGB LED strips with a colour controller? Seems like these would be bright enough to backlight, and can change colour at will (albeit the colours are a bit in your face). Probably not the cheapest solution (hard pressed to do this for less than £60-70 as far as I can see) but looks sensible to me.

Back