• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

bamboo

pike

hello members . looking at moss on bamboo sticks has given me an idea to hide outlet pipe with black java bamboo tank is old marine tank with inlet outlet pipes in tank ? question is lt safe ? how to hold it in place ? would i have to weight it down ? any advice please .thank you in advance regards jon

Are you talking about Lucky bamboo or real bamboo stems. I grow Lucky bamboo and stick it to the glass with suction cups. It grows well with submerged stem and leaves above water.

If you mean dried black bamboo wood then you'd have to be careful I imagine both for chemical treatments and the wood rotting.

Less so if live, though as mentioned already they cannot grow long term fully submerged and would need the tops Emersed - at least that's my overall understanding despite the odd person who says they're fine fully submerged.

True bamboo need full to partial sun, and well drained soil. There are no swamp bamboo, but surprisingly desert bamboo thrive in Sahara. So growing true bamboo in aquarium is impossible. If you want dead bamboo stems in aquarium, their lush green or black color will quickly fade to tan, and will rot. This is why bamboo wood flooring is not recommended for wet area. There are several species of look alike lucky bamboo that thrive in aquarium, and can take dim room light.

Hi all,
If you want dead bamboo stems in aquarium, their lush green or black color will quickly fade to tan, and will rot.
Dead bamboo lasts at least ten years under water. I've still got the same <"bamboo cane"> I had <"in 2008">, although it hasn't been in the water for all that time. Have a look at <"Bamboo as a building material">.

It isn't really relevant to this conversation, but the "wood" that lasts longest in the aquarium are coconut shells. They last even better than <"Oak (Quercus) heartwood">.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Back