• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Barb Island. its all over.

Re: Re: Re: 90x75x45 optiwhite. few pics

There is definately a little choc apreciation club starting here, just need to get you avatar pic sorted bud.

Having seen them in your tank i must admit i wish i was in the gang they are really good looking fish.

somethingfishy said:
There is definately a little choc apreciation club starting here, just need to get you avatar pic sorted bud.

Having seen them in your tank i must admit i wish i was in the gang they are really good looking fish.

A new club ? Where do I join ? I would like a few chocos in my new nano but wonder if 30L would be too small for them ? Thinking of having a trio of bulldog plecs, some choc gouramie and some CPDs

easerthegeezer said:
definitely too small, bulldogs wouldnt be too happy either i'd guess. 30l is pretty small.

Righto ! will swap choice of bulldogs for ottos and rethink the chocs :(

well that sucks, ive just reorganised my photobucket as it had 6 tanks all in one albulm and doing so voids all previous links!! So now i have to go back through my journal here and ultimate reef etc and replace all the links!! That seems like crappy programming to me.

Yes, i know it does warn you this will happen but in my haste i just clicked move... :oops:

i had chocs for a while, they aren't good for an open top IMO. I lost all but 2 out of a group of 8 through jumping. Great fish though, they aren't as shy as people think.

Nice pics as well!

ianho said:
i had chocs for a while, they aren't good for an open top IMO. I lost all but 2 out of a group of 8 through jumping. Great fish though, they aren't as shy as people think.

Nice pics as well!

I never lost any when i had open top halides mate.

what a day!!

Wow, what a day!! Was due some maintenance on the tank and just had a nightmare from start to finish.
First time cleaning the lily pipes... glad i only have to do that every month or two!
While messing with the floss etc the inline atomiser must have come loose as i came down an hour after i finished to find my 10ltr auto top up was almost empty and now it was in the cabinet and on the carpet!! When i looked it was holding on by about 1mm, would have emptied the tank had it come off!!! Tightened right up with jubilee clips but still a tiny drip every 10 mins, ive had nothing but issues since i started using this cheap clear tubing from ebay, going to replace it this week. I think it stretches easily as i had to trim 1/2 inch off the ends to get a seal on the lily pipes also.

Gave the plants a little trim and did a 75% water changes as i have some diatoms and BBA, fairly wide spread but very tiny, Ive upped the co2 and increased the powerhead output to about 2000lph, so with the pro2 and pro3 it must be enough now. Will just have to see if things improve or will have to rethink the distribution. Also added some Ottos yesterday which were good and fat , £9 for 5 too :)
Changed out all the floss and added another bag of purigen also.

Tennelus and glosso are coming back well after cutting right back to substrate 3 days ago :thumbup:

I had also been meaning to play with the movie setting on the camera, not the best time to do it right after maintenance, bright outside and lots of co2 moving around... need to figure out what to use to edit it properly.. any suggestions??

I would love to say best viewed in HD but to be honest probably best viewed squinting!! Ill try harder another day when im not rushed and pissed off :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3T5ltvB ... tube_gdata

Re: Re: 90x75x45 optiwhite. what a day + movie of sorts..

Iain, I was looking at getting the clear tubing from eBay I take it you wouldn't recommend then.. What you going to replace it with so I can take a look at before I order. Ta

Westyggx said:
Iain, I was looking at getting the clear tubing from eBay I take it you wouldn't recommend then.. What you going to replace it with so I can take a look at before I order. Ta

Mike, I bought some cheapo clear tubing @ Maidenhead Aquatics and found it to be very good stuff. TOO good in fact as it created such a seal around the plastic connectors on my G6 hose adaptor that I had to CUT it off. It just would not pull off ! I believe that it was £2.95/m

Westyggx said:

Defo wouldnt recommend it, bad seals and not much use if you have to cut an inch off each time!
Im looking for the smoked grey tubing as also dont like the fact the 'grime' is so obvious when you havent cleaned the tubes for a week or so. Any suggestions where to source welcome.

On the up side it made taking the lily pipes off really easy... almost fell off :lol:
Is there a nack to removing lilys when its a tight seal with the tubing?? Was thinking vaseline when put together would aid removal..???

Re: 90x75x45 optiwhite. lighting help....

My tank is now 6 weeks in and all plants are doing well excluding the carpet.
Tennelus is slow but sure which i can live with but the glosso is frustrating. Since cutting it all back to half cm from substrate more of it is running the way it should albeit diagonally but a lot still grows straight up. I am very tempted to lower the light as it is still very high, 80cm from substrate and 40cm from the surface. I have recently upped the co2 along with changing to the inline diffuser and cut the light period to 5 hours which seems to have resolved the BBA i did have.

So the question is should i drop the light down by 10cm???? or is that just asking for trouble.....

Re: 90x75x45 optiwhite. lighting help...

I read on someone else's thread that they had to lower their light to get it growing horizontal. It was on a nano.. not sure if it was James's 60p thread ? However, what worked in that tank could be because he had other plants that were happy with that extra light too. I guess its a suck it and see situation Iain.

Re: 90x75x45 optiwhite. lighting help...

you just gotta love new toys :)

IMG_2218.jpg

IMG_2221.jpg

looks super easy to plumb in too, hopefully have it running tomorrow as desperately need to up my water changes!!

Re: 90x75x45 optiwhite. new toy and lighting help...

Looks great mate. Regarding the osmosis unit, quality outfit Osmotics. I can't speak highly enough of Mark who sorted me out with a hundred questions about RO.

I also get the deionisation resin pack but TBH in retrospect I wouldn't recommend it for planted tanks unless you're keeping a marine setup somewhere?

Re: 90x75x45 optiwhite. new toy and lighting help...

running marine as well mate so was advised that the four stage would be the best bet.
I would agree that osmotics are extremely helpful, i was looking at the 37gpd but they advised me to go for the 75gpd. Plumbed it in today and it produces about 10-15 lph which is ideal for what i use it for.

Im very happy with it and osmotics, having my own RO feels like making money :)

Re: 90x75x45 optiwhite. need some advise please.

Hey everyone, things arent quite going as smoothly as i would like and am struggling to see how to proceed so would like your opinions please.

The problem i have is i dont really know how to improve my flow, the tank is 90x75x45 that runs an eheim pro2 (soon to be G6) pro 3 (2500lph with both) and a tunze powerhead at 1800lph. The config is the pro two runs the up inline atomiser on intake and blows out through lilys across the back of the tank from back left corner. The pro 3 runs the inline heater and blows from front right corner across the front. The powerhead blows from back right pointing towards substrate and front glass to create a circular flow.

However my tennelus and glosso carpet are struggling and have BBA in the base of the tennelus.

The problem i have is i dont really know how i can change the set up due to the tank depth, a circular flow seems to be the obvious choice. I have considered getting another inline atomiser and run two spray bars along the back of the tank pointing at the front but feel that the flow wouldnt be adequate to deal with 75cm depth and the back would then struggle??

My co2 is at its limit before fish behaviour changes and DC is pale green/ yellow at lights on. I have slashed my light period to just 3 hours with 150w HQI and 2 x 24w T5 run 5 hours with HQi, glosso has started growing vertically again as i also raised the light up 10cm to 70cm from substrate. I also dose 15ml excel daily and generous EI.

I find this very frustrating as im really at a loss how to improve the flow, if i turn the powerhead up then it turns into a washing machine....

Any advise would be much appreciated especially from anyone who has had a deep tank before.
I will post up another video of the configuration and how the flow looks tomorrow.

Thanks guys

Back