• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Bastian's Majestic Forest ADA 60-P

bastian

Seedling
Hi all,

Yesterday I started a new aquarium, this time a 17 gallon. Little bit smaller than my last aquarium 3 years ago.
My idea was to create some kind of 'old forest'. Unfortunately all cork branches got loose when my aquarium was filled up. A hell of a job to get them firmly back in the right place. Luckily I managed to do it haha

Here is the end result, 24h old.

majestic_forest_210213_zps141be79e.jpg

Thank you :) Suggestions always welcome.
And for now I let it grow a bit before I make any changes. When the Hydroctyle is rooted wel enough I'm going to trim it so it will be just above the lying branch.

New picture with blue background and a little bit sharper.

majestic_forest_23022013_small_zpsddf34e16.jpg

What do you guys think, should I try to put the tree in the back more straight up?
And what about the Microsorum narrow?

New picture, removed quite a lot of plants and added new ones! Have to let it grow in a bit again. I also added one more tree on the left side for some more balance in the aquascape.

IMG_3389_170413_zps3f841872.jpg

This is looking really like a forest now,...nice one. Could you share a bit more details please,...like lighting intensity, filtration rate, co2 injection methods etc.:)

Do you have any pictures during the tank's setting up phase? How did you manage to keep your rear substrate from falling down etc???:bookworm:

The dragon stones and the branches are holding the substrate, didn't use any other support.

Some more specs :)

Lighting: 2x 70 watt 8000K HQI (8 hours a day).
Filtration: Eheim 2324 with heater, biological and mechanical + 600 l/h pump in the left corner.
Co2: Atomizer controller by a PH-controller. Controller is set on 6.4 PH, KH is around 3 a 4.
Dosing: EI method

Hello, your aquarium is great. The trees are only a cork ? The right side looks very good. The left side looks empty. Fallen tree is very close to the slope on the right and so becomes the focal point instead of "the track" between them in the distance. You may think to remove eleoharis behind right, and replace it with Rota rotundifolia. It will add red.Fallen tree can move it forward closer to the glass, but turned to the left corner of the tank. Will add depth to the composition. Behind it you can move upright. Behind upright can add thinner trees and a fine stem plant.

First of all thanks for the comprehensive explanation :) I agree on the left side looking a bit empty. It should look like the fallen tree is broken off the right tree who is standing upright. Don't wanna disturb the substrate/HC too much anymore. But your advise is to put the end of the fallen tree, who is now in the back left corner, to the front left corner? That will give more depth indeed. I could also put a half branch in front of the fallen one?
For the red colours, the plant in the back left corner is hygrophila pinnatifida. I'm hoping it will spread a bit and it's already turning more red. Big part is still the emerse version of it.

All branches are cork branches indeed.

So the fallen tree on the left is a broken branch from the tree on the right. My idea is that the focal point is the rear end of the middle trail. If you move the left side of the fallen branches up near the front left corner will be produced in V shape which enhances the sense of depth in the path. Put a thin trees back left plan as if they were in the distance, and that is why are thin.:)

Oke I understand, good vision indeed. But only problem is... the fallen tree is secured on a stone who is hidden in the substrate, when I try to lift the left end up or the branch will break or the whole substrate will move including the HC who will uproot. Don't have the courage to do that haha
Maybe I can put something in front of the fallen tree?

Back