• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

BBA Help

blancmange

Seedling
Hello
Could somebody please point me in the right direction with bba . Only just started to add easy carbo and profito (2 weeks) The spot algae on the glass has stopped growing but the bba just keeps growing .Do I remove the affected plants and start again or will it just grow on my new plants ?
120 ltr tank
Fuval 102 external filter
I do a 50% water change every week
10 ml pro fito every week
2 ml easy carbo everyday
lights on 6 hrs a day
fish about 14 various tetras
I also read that co2 can cause bba if not done right so i removed my TMC aqua grow .
Cheers
Paul

First thing is to manually remove all the BBA that you can see. Each of those small BBA tufts, depending on where it is in your tank, will be continuously chucking out monospores (particulary if it's in high light and high flow). Once this is done, you can nuke anything that is left with easycarbo, which should be more effective once you have removed all that is visible. If you have to remove a plant leaf, or even an entire plant then do it.

I would double dose easycarbo which I think is 1ml per 50l per day so you can up your dose to 5ml. Squirt or spray it direct to plants if you want to save a leaf etc

The CO2 hypothesis is that BBA loves fluctuating CO2 so you should still keep your TMC aqua grow but you need to ensure that CO2 is constant throughout the lighting period. If you remove it then you should expect other issues that are caused by you suddenly going to a non CO2 setup - your plants should have adapted to CO2 so removing it will make them suffer for a while, causing more algae issues.

Most important is to make sure the plants are healthy. The fact you are getting BBA on plants would suggest they aren't as healthy as they could be.

Do lots of water changes. Just one of those monospores will grow into another BBA tuft and within a few weeks it will be chucking out hundreds more. Remove as many as possible.

Finally make sure BBA monospores have few places to germinate. If plants are healthy they won't germinate there which leaves decor/wood etc. You can coat the wood with moss and if you have a sunken pirate ship or rock effect background, throw it in the bin ;)

Thanks for your reply and advise
I noticed last week that a lot of the leaves on my hygrophila had started to turn black(think this was new bba growth)so I pulled all these out.Yesterday the tank had a good clean and removed the bba that was visable and a 50% water change .The hygrophila which was new growth I replanted and introduced some new plants. Took your advise and now putting 5ml easy carb in a day plus TNC aqua plugs at the base of the plants. Hopefully the will keep my plants healthy.

Back