• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
Basically knowing what the pH is when CO2 is only at natural equilibrium level…therefore takes all other sources of acidity/alkalinity into account when measuring pH due to CO2 drop.
Ok, got it. The idea is the water before CO2 addition is fully equilibrated with the atmosphere to provide the baseline pH reading, correct? Then the goal is to measure the pH in the tank after CO2 addition to look for the pH drop. The way the original comment read sounded to me like they were equilibrating the CO2-injected sample as well as the baseline sample.

I've read that 1 cubic centimeter of sea water - much less 'live' than our tanks - contains millions of bacteria and even many more viruses.

But an easy way to degas water is to boil it. It'll lose all CO2 and most bacteria will lyse.
I fear that boiling the water would affect the purpose of having water with all the acidities and alcalinities of the tank water, but at equilibrium with the atmospheric CO2. It could maybe destroy/denature or similarly alter the molecules of whatever is in the water changing the pH.

Still, worth testing.

I'm also not sure if millions of bacteria are really relevant. I always see references of numbers of bacteria to be in the billions. And I expect viruses to be mostly inert in the open water, outside of a living cell.

Hi all,
I've seen you comment on this stuff before, but wanted to know what your current opinion is?
I'm still none the wiser. I'm away for the next ~ ten days, but when I'm back I'll try and have a trawl through the scientific literature.

One of the problems I had (before) was that it doesn't always state how the CO2 value was measured, and often it has been estimated via some other parameter. Aqueous CO2 probes definitely exist <"aquams - Dissolved CO2 sensor - Measuring carbon dioxide in water">, but I'm guessing they are going to be quite expensive.

cheers Darrel

Hello everyone again.
So after carefull review, I think it is not BBA, but staghorn algae.
I was dosing 20 ML Tropica Premium and 20 ml Tropical Special every day, I reduced it Special 15 ml and Premium 10 ml every day.
Doing water change 50% every week, and dosing 40 ml Easy Carbo every day,
Any other suggestions how to kill it? It grows on leaves edge, dont want to cut all of those plants and hope that algae will die.
I will be happy to hear other suggestions.
Thank you in advance!

So after carefull review, I think it is not BBA, but staghorn algae.
Staghorn algae, IMO, is most often associated with organic pollution. I've only ever personally seen it when the tank needed a clean and/or the flow wasn't correctly sweeping everything to the filter intake.

I've also seen it when grossly overdosing liquid microbial products - I had put large amounts of Seachem's 'stability' in the tank early on, mainly because I was inexperienced and assumed that the extra bacteria would be beneficial. I now assume that the excess bacteria just died off and contributed to a massive algae bloom. I even squirted the product over some Sieryu stone in order to inoculate it, and very thick clumps of staghorn grew in the exact spots that I squirted the bacteria. This, to me, is evidence that organics play a key role in staghorn algae. I've also seen it when my flow has been suboptimal, with organics collecting on the sand. Once the flow was properly directed to the filter, that particular area of staghorn stopped growing.

I would try a good clean up - when you next do maintenance, replace at least 50% of the tank water. Use a gravel vacuum to brush over the substrate and all the plant leaves - it can also help to use your hands to gently rub the larger leaves to get rid of anything settled on them. Double check your flow to make sure there are no deadspots where organic material is settling (it should be being swept to the filter). Also give the filters and pipes a good clean. I would also double check your CO2's stability, because unhealthy plants will themselves eject organics in to the water column.

Edit: I found a picture of my first tank, with these big staghorn blooms :lol::lol:

Attachments

• staghorn.png
    staghorn.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Staghorn algae, IMO, is most often associated with organic pollution. I've only ever personally seen it when the tank needed a clean and/or the flow wasn't correctly sweeping everything to the filter intake.

I've also seen it when grossly overdosing liquid microbial products - I had put large amounts of Seachem's 'stability' in the tank early on, mainly because I was inexperienced and assumed that the extra bacteria would be beneficial. I now assume that the excess bacteria just died off and contributed to a massive algae bloom. I even squirted the product over some Sieryu stone in order to inoculate it, and very thick clumps of staghorn grew in the exact spots that I squirted the bacteria. This, to me, is evidence that organics play a key role in staghorn algae. I've also seen it when my flow has been suboptimal, with organics collecting on the sand. Once the flow was properly directed to the filter, that particular area of staghorn stopped growing.

I would try a good clean up - when you next do maintenance, replace at least 50% of the tank water. Use a gravel vacuum to brush over the substrate and all the plant leaves - it can also help to use your hands to gently rub the larger leaves to get rid of anything settled on them. Double check your flow to make sure there are no deadspots where organic material is settling (it should be being swept to the filter). Also give the filters and pipes a good clean. I would also double check your CO2's stability, because unhealthy plants will themselves eject organics in to the water column.

Edit: I found a picture of my first tank, with these big staghorn blooms :lol::lol:
Thank you for your answer.
Reharding the flow, I have sump with 6500 liter pump (aquarium volume is around 800 liters. and it grows on echinodorus which stay right next to outlow). I do regular water change, but very rearly gravel vacuming because everything is planted, for now I just reduced the fertilizer amount. How long did it take before all algae died?

but very rearly gravel vacuming because everything is planted
It can be tough to get at the substrate when a tank is densely planted, but it's still useful to hover the vacuum just above the visible parts, as well as the plant leaves.
How long did it take before all algae died?
The staghorn in my example didn't die by itself, I had to manually remove it. It just stopped growing when the tank was cleaned up. It was trickier in my example though because it was all over the hardscape. It's much easier to deal with staghorn on plants because you can just replant the tops and discard the parts infected with the algae.

Are you sure it's staghorn? Do you have other pictures? Your initial pictures look a little more like BBA, although sometimes the initial stages of staghorn can look like BBA. I found staghorn grows quite fast though, and it becomes recognisable by the twisting growth quite quickly.

Here are more photos

Attachments

• IMG20230530164501.jpg
    IMG20230530164501.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 93
  • IMG20230530164358.jpg
    IMG20230530164358.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 81
  • IMG20230530164328.jpg
    IMG20230530164328.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 86
  • IMG20230530164407.jpg
    IMG20230530164407.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 78
  • IMG20230530164420.jpg
    IMG20230530164420.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 84
  • IMG20230530164347.jpg
    IMG20230530164347.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 85
The shorter stuff is harder to tell, but the longer bits do look like staghorn, yeah.

I would try to be a bit more active with the gravel vac, you don't have to actually deeply vacuum the substrate, but just hover the vacuum over what's visible, including the plant leaves. You'll pick up lots of little bits of detritus. I'm pretty convinced that staghorn is related to organics, so I would focus on doing what you can to reduce those organics.

Since this coincided with your CO2 changes as well, I would also review your method of adding CO2, you really want the delivery to be stable so that the plants don't have to keep adjusting their own growth patterns. Excel can be used to kill off certain types of algaes, red algae such as BBA and staghorn tend to respond well to excel treatment, but they will keep coming back until the root cause is fixed, so it's only a bandaid fix to use excel.

Hello everyone again.
After dosing Easy Carbo for 2-3 weeks I killed all bba and staghornl. After I stopped dosing it and staghorn returned.
I placed drop checker in multiple position on tanks during the week and I think the level is good.
So the last lart is flow, currently running 6500 l/h return pump and thinkgin to add Maxscept to improve flow on lower levels of tank ( it is 80sm in height). Do you guys think it will help?

Back