• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

BBA on Sponge Filter

jameson_uk

Any suggestions on how to get rid of BBA on a sponge filter. This is just in tank in case I need to setup hospital tank but the sponge keeps getting BBA. This built up when maintenance got a little slack.

I pick it off (but feel like I am also pulling off bits of sponge) and have also spot dosed Excel witg a syringe but it doesn't seem to help a lot (I have done it with filter running through).

Is it worth just replacing the sponges I could I treat them outside of the tank.
945ff9f23a8991f47ce4e5511504901d.jpg
99be55d91eddf279a67841bbf65fdab3.jpg
b3471965efc1352d360c6961159174bb.jpg
15d4b24bd7be71000ce9a0b6fe5dd964.jpg
07691795c43159cd55f2308d5df42730.jpg

If it's easy enough then just get a new sponge, you could be trying to battle it forever.
You can always give this one more intense treatment when it's removed; whether that's with liquid carbon, bleach, darkness or a combination of all or other ideas.
On the other hand you could just throw it away! ;)

Hi all,
I tend to get BBA on the filter sponges in the tanks, but not really any-where else. I think in my case it is because the Ramshorn snails can't/don't graze the biofilm on the sponges.

cheers Darrel
Hi Darrel, do you reckon that Ramshorn snails when in good numbers can help with bba?

I also get BBA in the intake sponge in my high light no co2 tank where I keep hillstream loaches. I have another tank with medium light and somewhat softer water and BBA was never a problem on the intake sponge.

edit:plural

Hi all,
I tend to get BBA on the filter sponges in the tanks, but not really any-where else. I think in my case it is because the Ramshorn snails can't/don't graze the biofilm on the sponges.

cheers Darrel
I have started to see some BBA on Crypt (which is near sponge) and I think it may have spread.

Think I will replace sponges and see if it comes back this bad but also dip these in hydrogen peroxide to keep as spares. I guess I can leave them in a 4:1 solution for a while then just rinse?

Hi all,
Hi Darrel, do you reckon that Ramshorn snails when in good numbers can help with bba?
I think that they graze the biofilm, which reduces BBA over time, rather than eating the obvious tufts.
I have another tank with medium light and somewhat softer water and BBA was never a problem on the intake sponge.
Same with me, I have one tank that never <"has any BBA in it">, but I don't know why.

cheers Darrel

I have started to see some BBA on Crypt (which is near sponge) and I think it may have spread.

Think I will replace sponges and see if it comes back this bad but also dip these in hydrogen peroxide to keep as spares. I guess I can leave them in a 4:1 solution for a while then just rinse?

You don't even have to rinse it really, H2O2 will quickly fall apart and in a tank it will be in a low concentration not harmful to fish and plants.

Back