• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • Most of the remaining team are off on holiday meaning the forum does not have sufficient cover. As such the site will be placed in maintenance mode where it can be viewed but no posts/threads can be made and will remain this way until August 11th, apologies for the inconvience.

BBA on Sponge Filter

jameson_uk

Any suggestions on how to get rid of BBA on a sponge filter. This is just in tank in case I need to setup hospital tank but the sponge keeps getting BBA. This built up when maintenance got a little slack.

I pick it off (but feel like I am also pulling off bits of sponge) and have also spot dosed Excel witg a syringe but it doesn't seem to help a lot (I have done it with filter running through).

Is it worth just replacing the sponges I could I treat them outside of the tank.
945ff9f23a8991f47ce4e5511504901d.jpg
99be55d91eddf279a67841bbf65fdab3.jpg
b3471965efc1352d360c6961159174bb.jpg
15d4b24bd7be71000ce9a0b6fe5dd964.jpg
07691795c43159cd55f2308d5df42730.jpg

If it's easy enough then just get a new sponge, you could be trying to battle it forever.
You can always give this one more intense treatment when it's removed; whether that's with liquid carbon, bleach, darkness or a combination of all or other ideas.
On the other hand you could just throw it away! 😉

Hi all,
I tend to get BBA on the filter sponges in the tanks, but not really any-where else. I think in my case it is because the Ramshorn snails can't/don't graze the biofilm on the sponges.

cheers Darrel
Hi Darrel, do you reckon that Ramshorn snails when in good numbers can help with bba?

I also get BBA in the intake sponge in my high light no co2 tank where I keep hillstream loaches. I have another tank with medium light and somewhat softer water and BBA was never a problem on the intake sponge.

edit😛lural

Hi all,
I tend to get BBA on the filter sponges in the tanks, but not really any-where else. I think in my case it is because the Ramshorn snails can't/don't graze the biofilm on the sponges.

cheers Darrel
I have started to see some BBA on Crypt (which is near sponge) and I think it may have spread.

Think I will replace sponges and see if it comes back this bad but also dip these in hydrogen peroxide to keep as spares. I guess I can leave them in a 4:1 solution for a while then just rinse?

Hi all,
Hi Darrel, do you reckon that Ramshorn snails when in good numbers can help with bba?
I think that they graze the biofilm, which reduces BBA over time, rather than eating the obvious tufts.
I have another tank with medium light and somewhat softer water and BBA was never a problem on the intake sponge.
Same with me, I have one tank that never <"has any BBA in it">, but I don't know why.

cheers Darrel

I have started to see some BBA on Crypt (which is near sponge) and I think it may have spread.

Think I will replace sponges and see if it comes back this bad but also dip these in hydrogen peroxide to keep as spares. I guess I can leave them in a 4:1 solution for a while then just rinse?

You don't even have to rinse it really, H2O2 will quickly fall apart and in a tank it will be in a low concentration not harmful to fish and plants.

Back