• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Beginners Luck (Day 7 Update)

meejo

Howdy! Newbie here!

I've kept tanks before, but mainly 6ft ones with big fish like silver dollars. I've always found planted tanks to be so relaxing to watch, so thought i'd attempt one myself.

The tank is 48x12x15, running an Eheim Pro 2 Thermo filter, I dose carbon daily and am awaiting a fert delivery.

I'm a complete beginner so welcome any feedback of any kind.

Day 1

img20120731165736.jpg

img20120731165712.jpg

Day 7
dscf6643ff.jpg

dscf6645.jpg

Re: Beginners Luck

Hi. Looks like a good start. I like the barrier you have between the soil and sand. great idea. I'm also a fan of the really wide scape you have created. That's going to look lovely once it grows in a bit.

What's the big fish you have in there. Looks nice but can't quite make it out.

Rob

I tried using a plastic divider at first but it was naff, luckily I had 2 old pieces of driftwood stashed away in a cupboard, they do the job perfectly, really pleased with that bit.

I'm considering making the rocks a bit higher up, looks a bit flat? I don't know whether to do that now by adding more substrate or once the HG carpets trim that to give the illusion of height?

Its an Electric Blue Ram, him and the neons are the only fish from my 6ft community tank that I didn't give away :)

The driftwood works really well! You were lucky to have a bit with that curve too. Looks nice and natural.

You could go higher. I wouldn't want to disturb the substrate too much but if you are very gentle you might get away with it? What substrate is it? If it's ADA stuff be prepared for a little rise in ammonia if you disturb it too much. I did in mine anyway. Not much but enough to register with my test kit.

Aha, electric blue ram. Thanks. I'll investigate them. Looks nice.

The substrate is eco complete, with a laterite base. Thinking of just raising the centrepiece rock so its higher than the rest, just a few inches higher. Either that or i could go get another piece from my LFS thats bigger and just do a straight swap.

I love my ram, he has such a personality.

Looking great, and very good esp for a newbie... its amazing to see the quality people achieve albeit new to the hobby. Much better than my 'tank full of plants' lol. Your riverbed is one of the most convincing I have seen. I like that the width has no uniformity to it, and you have created an 'overhang' from the right, really nicely :thumbup:

Just a small update, I went to my LFS and purchased 3 Ottos, 4 Amano Shrimp and 2 of what were advertised as Tiger Goby (see pic), I thought these were just saltwater?

My current stock is now 18 Neon Tetra, 1 Electric Blue Ram, 3 Otto Catfish, 4 Amano Shrimp, 2 Tiger Goby. Oh and a baby fish of unknown description that jumed a lift with the shrimp.

I've also raised the rocks slightly on the left handside, I think it looks much better, can't wait for the DHG to grow!

My fertiliser has arrived too which should hopefully start to make the plants look a bit healthier. Combined with my new algae army I'm excited for the coming weeks progress :) few pics below...

updscf6594.jpg

updscf6590.jpg

updscf6589.jpg

updscf6586.jpg

updscf6580.jpg

updscf6578.jpg

updscf6575.jpg

Mate unless I am mistaken and there is a very similar freshwater fish, that fish will die. Im pretty sure Its a scooter Blenny and is a marine fish. If its not dead by the morning take it back to the shop pronto. Who on earth sold him to you for a freshwater setup ?

It was Maidenhead Aquatics, they don't stock Marine fish just Freshwater, they had other types as well, one called a red lip goby?

Chris may have a point there, I'd give the store a ring about that goby but there is a freshwater variant of it

Last pics at the bottom of this thread
http://forum.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk ... hp?t=53961
Which seems to be what you have as it looks almost identical but gobys can be very difficult to identify the species.

Tanks looking great meejo.,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi. Most of the MA's I have been to stock marines, though its possible yours does not. Its also possible that the fish are in fact a very similar freshwater species so I (would be glad to) stand corrected. Was it expensive ? I wonder if they know the latin name of the fish (it ought to be on their shipping note). I would be interested to know more. And I am sure there are much more knowledgable aquarists on here than me who can tell you what it is. I just saw it and linked to your comment about saltwater fish, jumped to the conclusion it was a scooter blenny.

They definitely don't stock marines :) it's in a garden centre, so not the biggest place. I think it was £12 for 2. they had a fair few of them. I'll give them a call tomorrow and see if I can find out anymore

meejo said:
The Gobys are alive and well :)

Great news. Glad that it was not a scooter blenny after all, lol. I guess I shoulda gone to specsavers, :lol: :geek:

I'm just glad you were wrong, they look awesome burying themselves in the sand.

My algae problem is getting worse, may have to go pressurised Co2 if there's no improvement. The shrimp have cleared the Java Fern but its getting out of control of the DHG, I've decided to have a complete black out for 3 days :( give the shrimp chance to catch up. I'll see what it's like on Sunday night then decide whether it needs the full five day treatment, here's hoping the plants survive!

It does look very like a Blenny. It might last a while if it is a marine fish...

Wonder if it's a wild caught freshwater or something odd?

I rang MA this morning still waiting for a call back to confirm its scientific name, they've settled in great now, burying themselves in the sand leaving just their eyes out

Day 7

I've changed the plants behind the rocks for various moss and riccia. I seem to be winning my battle with algae by introducing shrimp/otto and reducing lighting to 4 hours per day. As soon as I get pressurised Co2 I'll up my lighting to 6-7 hours :)

dscf6643ff.jpg

dscf6645.jpg

Back