• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Ben's 90cm un-named re-scape - MORE NEW PICS 20/08/11

B7fec

Hi All,

Well here goes on my 90 cm re-scape. Having drawn a close on my previous 8 month old scape " Sticks n Stones" I wanted to try some different things, a carpeting plant, a more natural style with the planting, with this being only my second scape in this tank I couldn't wait to get started!

Tank: TGM Opti-White 90x45x45

Filtration: Eheim Thermo Pro 3, 2 Inlets, 1 Outlet and a Koralia 1 powerhead.

Lighting: Arcadia OT2 Luminaire 4 x 24 watt - HOWEVER only using 2 Plant pro's

CO2: Comes on 3 hours before lights on and goes off with lights out. Also a UP Atomizer for diffusion.

Substrate: Full ADA system - Power Sand S, Clear Super, Bacter 100, Tourmaline BC, Amazonia soil & powder.

Hardscape: Dragon Stone & Manzanita Wood

Plants: Mostly TGM
Staurogyne
Hemianthus Callitrichoides "Cuba"
Anubias Nana Bonsai Aquafleur and Anubias from TGM
Anubias Nana Petit
Bolbitus Heudelotii 1 x Tropica 1 x Aquafleur
Eleocharis Acicularis
Echinodorus tenellus
Blyxa aubertii
Cyperus helferi
Crypt Wendtii Green
Eleocharis parvula
Microsorum pteropus "Petit"
Microsorum pteropus "Narrow"
Vallis Nana
Xmas Moss
Weeping Moss
Hydro Sp. (Cheers George!)

Fertilisation: Tobis Mikro and Makro Special Ferts, 8 squirts or each daily, 10ml of Easy Carbo, 1/4 tea spoon of KNO3 daily.

Maintenance: 50% daily water change for the first two weeks, then twice/three times a week there after.

So, now for some pics, this is how the original scape looked.......
tankthen.jpg

Then for the rip down....... What a MESS!!
tankmess.jpg

Here's the new scape @ 14 Days old or so.......(SOZ about equipment!!)
tanknow.jpg

Around 2 Days before I took the photo I ran into my first issue, my CO2 timer decided to break! and only half way through the day I notice, so changed it, but bizzairly the day after exactly the same thing happened again and the timer broke yet again! I have now replaced the lights timer and the CO2 timer however even with daily W/C's I ended up getting some algae due to the CO2 fluctuating. What a pain! however I am now back on track with just a few diatoms on the substrate and on the Parvula.
On reflection of the layout I am pretty happy, however some of the larger pieces of wood are a bit over powering, so I am now growing weeping moss over them to soften them.

Comments & Suggestions welcome as always!

Cheers Ben

Re: Ben's 90cm un-named re-scape - The beginnings

thats absolutely stunning mate :D .

Power Sand S, Clear Super, Bacter 100, Tourmaline BC, Amazonia soil & powder......WOW

I luuurve ada and that is a pretty impressive substrate system! Diid you get the pitch in tgm or was you looking to get a complete system anyway?

As for Tobis ferts are you only doesing spezial N and flowgrow??

Cheers

BL)*£)*$ brilliant.. cant wait to see this one growing

Feeling that layout too mate, and the glass is freakishly clear, well worth the extra doller aye

Gunna grow in to a proper beeeeeaut

nelson said:
thats absolutely stunning mate :D .

a1Matt said:
I love it!

SteveUK said:
Great stuff Ben! Love it

Thanks Guys! :thumbup:

nayr88 said:
I luuurve ada and that is a pretty impressive substrate system! Diid you get the pitch in tgm or was you looking to get a complete system anyway?

Hi Ryan, I have used the complete ADA system 4 times or so now in various scapes and it has always done me proud. Even in my very first scape with absolutely no experience at all it gave me really great results.... The guys at TGM told me about it some 2 1/2 years ago so I gave it ago and have never really looked back. I think if it ain't broke why fix it.

nayr88 said:
As for Tobis ferts are you only doesing spezial N and flowgrow??

Yep just the 2...... also easy carbo and a pinch of KNO3 to keep the algae at bay.......well hopefully!

marthin said:
BL)*£)*$ brilliant.. cant wait to see this one growing

Thanks mate, the growing in part is always the worst! Must have patience......west have patience.... :D

nayr88 said:
Feeling that layout too mate, and the glass is freakishly clear, well worth the extra doller aye

Gunna grow in to a proper beeeeeaut

Cheers Mate.....I defo think opti white is worth it, such a difference! I have everything crossed it's going to be a good one!

New scape looks great ben :) shame they don't make a glass koralia ;)
Great start, looking forward to this to filling in :)

looks ace!

I'm with you on that LD, patient the idea, i'm surprised ADA haven't come up with a camouflaged powerhead.

LondonDragon said:
New scape looks great ben :) shame they don't make a glass koralia ;)
Great start, looking forward to this to filling in :)

Thanks Paulo...... a glass Koralia......I wish! ;)

ianho said:
looks ace!

Cheers mate :thumbup:

ianho said:
i'm surprised ADA haven't come up with a camouflaged powerhead

Might have to have some pretty deep pockets if ADA were to come up with that!

B7fec said:
You can always get another set of lilly pipes for the other side and just have it on an external pump without a filter ;)

LondonDragon said:
B7fec said:
You can always get another set of lilly pipes for the other side and just have it on an external pump without a filter ;)

Cheers for the suggestion Paulo, would be a perfect idea,no more Koralia! But I'm limited for space and have absolutely no room for another filter :thumbdown:

A koralia made from clear plastic, mucho dollar haha, especially with the Ada logo inscribed on the side.

I don't think it obscures the viewing pleasure at all :)

I hate having it in there, such an eye-sore with the clean lines of the top of the tank. Surely someone will come up with a un-obtrusive power head....

Ben, Paulos suggestion would be literally just a pump, something like an ehiem universal linked to some lillys or a jet out flow, no need for another filter and increased flow.

Absolutely stunning tank, almost certainly a future get excited candidate!

Garuf said:
Absolutely stunning tank, almost certainly a future get excited candidate!

Thanks Garuf!

Garuf said:
Ben, Paulos suggestion would be literally just a pump, something like an ehiem universal linked to some lillys or a jet out flow, no need for another filter and flow.

Regarding the pump etc, the pump would still have to be in the tank though, then a clear hose out to the lily? Or am I having a dumb blonde moment? :?

Nope, you can get pumps that don't need to be submerged! Think of it as rather than it being a whole filter it's literally just the pump.

Right....... I'll have to have a look at that then, sounds like a plan, so an eheim universal is one of these pumps? If its not what other ones are out there?

I think it is, Themulous would be the one to ask, he had this exact set up running for a while.

Back