• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Best Filter Media

Not sure that would work in the the version as heater would end up being in direct contact with the filter media.
Very good point indeed. It would only work (if it did indeed work) when not using the internal heater.

Hi @Courtneybst - I just saw your post in your lovely Journal - but I did not want to stop the flow (no pun intended) there, so I am posting here!

To prevent water from taking the least path of resistance and ensure that it flows through the media, you should try to pack the pot scrubbers in a little more. As a guide, if you can see the grills below, I would add more pot scrubbers. There is a reason Oase cuts its foams to ensure they are a perfect fit (see example), and you should try to emulate that with the pot scrubbers.

I am thinking that squashing the green one up a little and adding another in that bottom corner might help achieve that.

View attachment 216923

View attachment 216924
Thank you! I'll add some more. It was quite tricky even getting the 4 of them in since any slight movement would dislodge another and push it out. I'll do my best! Or maybe I'll have to cut some in half to fit on the edges.

Thank you! I'll add some more. It was quite tricky even getting the 4 of them in since any slight movement would dislodge another and push it out. I'll do my best! Or maybe I'll have to cut some in half to fit on the edges.
Absolute pleasure. Make sure you can imagine that water is 'forced' to move through the pot scrubbers and cannot (to any huge degree) go around them. And then I think you are all set on that tray.

The only other thing I would say is that using foam, pot scrubbers or plastic media in the other trays will provide far more biofiltration capacity (or buffer for issues in planted aquariums) than bioballs, matrix, and ceramic rings.

I use alfagrog as well. 25mm. Cheap and I never need to replace it.
I've used alfagrog for years and never had a problem. It's cheap and effective in my eyes
There is nothing wrong with Alfagrog - it's just 3 times less effective at providing surface area than a 20PPI sponge.

There is nothing wrong with Alfagrog - it's just 3 times less effective at providing surface area than a 20PPI sponge.
That is not what all the articles I have read online would suggest. It seems to be rated as having one of the highest surface areas.

That is not what all the articles I have read online would suggest. It seems to be rated as having one of the highest surface areas.
They do indeed have "high" surface areas. That is, without question. And probably what you are reading.

The problem is (and thus very frustrating to us) is how that is measured and within what context. And that is where is breaks down to marketing hype unfortunately.

Very good point indeed. It would only work (if it did indeed work) when not using the internal heater.
I don't think you can get rid of the trays at all, they create the duct that sends the water to the bottom, so that it can run through the media from bottom to top.

The way I look at this (ONLY in terms of man-made filter media, not in terms of plants and their undoubted benefits which I am NOT well versed in) is that you need a lot of holes in the media which the beneficial bacteria can live.
I don't think you can get rid of the trays at all, they create the duct that sends the water to the bottom, so that it can run through the media from bottom to top.
Yes, I am coming to the same conclusion. The trays are an important part of the 'structure'.

The way I look at this (ONLY in terms of man-made filter media, not in terms of plants and their undoubted benefits which I am NOT well versed in) is that you need a lot of holes in the media which the beneficial bacteria can live.
I don’t take much notice of marketing when it comes to Aquarium Technology, including media etc. I came across this recently though, I wonder if a copy of this university study is available? Not for me I might add, as I doubt I’d understand it! :D

IMG_9530.jpeg

I came across this recently though, I wonder if a copy of this university study is available? Not for me I might add, as I doubt I’d understand it!
where did you come across this? University studies are often available on line, so if you can find a source/author name you might be able to get hold of the study.

I took a screen shot of the relevant part when I first saw it but didn’t book mark it. I’ve found it though.

I only started using the stuff as it came with a Sera canister filter I bought some years ago.

It will be interesting to find out how small those 'holes' are.

For media to be effective, it must flow through the media and not around it. I cannot see how water is going to flow through that - even with the 'air test' that the guy in the video did.

Screenshot 2024-03-11 at 16.42.17.png

I think this is the Study, but I don't have access.

Simultaneous nitrification and denitrification using Siporax™ packing
P. Menoud, C.H. Wong, H.A. Robinson, A. Farquhar, J.P. Barford, G.W. Barton
Department of Chemical Engineering, University of Sydney, NSW 2006, Australia.

It will be interesting to find out how small those 'holes' are.

For media to be effective, it must flow through the media and not around it. I cannot see how water is going to flow through that - even with the 'air test' that the guy in the video did.

View attachment 216958
And how much water flows through it after 6 months use

Hi all,
I think this is the Study, but I don't have access.

Simultaneous nitrification and denitrification using Siporax™ packing
P. Menoud, C.H. Wong, H.A. Robinson, A. Farquhar, J.P. Barford, G.W. Barton
Department of Chemical Engineering, University of Sydney, NSW 2006, Australia.
I don't have access to it either. It is from 1999 and has subsequently been <"cited 86 times">. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to access at least one follow up paper.
And how much water flows through it after 6 months use
We used <"Siporax type media"> a little bit when we did the wastewater work, but <"they foul really easily">, which is why I'm guessing that most more recent work has looked at <"floating cell media in MBBR reactors">.

Having a media that doesn't clog, and maintains an optimal biofilm depth automatically, is just a no-brainer if you dealing with wastewater with a high bioload.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,

We used <"Siporax type media"> a little bit when we did the wastewater work, but <"they foul really easily">, which is why I'm guessing that most more recent work has looked at <"floating cell media in MBBR reactors">.

cheers Darrel
When I put some Siporax in my Biomaster 350 they went from white to brown in maybe six months. I put some in my Eheim Classic about six months ago and they are still pretty white. Due to the design, bypass on the Eheim isn’t really possible. On any other canister I’ve had, including the Biomaster it seems to happen all too easily. In fairness though I have a pre filter sponge on the inlet pipe of the Eheim.

Edit: I’ll try to remember to take some pictures next time maintenance is due on them.

Back