• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Best media for external filter.

Hi all,
but why Amano recommended full canister filter filled by biological media?
I think our knowledge about nitrification has moved on really quickly in recent years, and we have much more understanding of the actual processes and microbes that occur in our filters.

Unfortunately Takashi Amano is no longer with us, but if he was? He might have <"revised his recommendation">. You can't over-estimate his contribution to aquascaping, but my personal opinion is that a lot of the products sold by ADA aren't <"necessarily very useful">.

Have a look at <"Correspondence with Dr Ryan Newton - School of Freshwater Sciences, University of Wisconsin—Milwaukee">, it summarises where we are at the moment.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
why Amano recommended full canister filter filled by biological media? What do you guess about this?
Amano is not an undisputed authority to me. In all his doings, I can sense that he was a very smart marketer in the first place. So, whatever he published about his methods should be read with that in mind.
Secondly, I have not read all that he said and wrote, far from it, but I do know that at least on one occasion he described his filter media differently: half pumice, half activated carbon. Pumice was intended as both mechanical and biological medium, while activated carbon served clearly to keep dissolved organics low. I surely confirm that such a filter might serve him well, especially if he had enough time (or hired labor) and money to employ large amounts of first-grade activated carbon and replace it in short sequence. In any case, all his tanks clearly betray they were cost- and labor-intensive; they required diligent maintenance to preserve aesthetic details as well as biological balance.

Unlike Amano, I'm an amateur without marketing interests and limited budget. At the same time, I have been practicing this hobby for many years. I've adopted a steady pace in doing it. Let me stress one important thing: Everywhere on the Internet, even here, our perceptions are biased by the fact that people participate in discussions and expose their tanks at the time when their interest and care are peaking. A month later their tanks may look very very differently, but we don't know, we don't hear from them.
Seasoned hobbyists, on the other hand, have rather different preferences. Making their tanks able to function for long time, even many years, with modest effort and equally modest expenses. Lasting balance is our prime goal, not elaborated visual perfection requiring too intensive attention.
So, I've found - and I'm surely not alone! - that to over-do and over-dose things is the safe way to imbalance. Nutrient-rich and similar special substrates? Perhaps not bad for some, but why should I take the risk when I'm not in a hurry? Many fishes of diverse families? Superficial. They'll show their true nature about as well as POWs kept in a camp. Too heavy a burden for stability. CO2 injection? Do I intend to trim my plants every week and sell them in the market? And so on. Experience leads me to making things as simple as possible. Lightweight. With such an approach, strong and sophisticated filters are not necessary. Something lightweight (and cheap) can do basically the same job.

Last edited:
Hi all,

Have a look at <"Correspondence with Dr Ryan Newton - School of Freshwater Sciences, University of Wisconsin—Milwaukee">, it summarises where we are at the moment.

cheers Darrel
Thanks for this link which I should bookmark.
From the answer, it seems that the roots of plants is a potential inoculum source - so before setting up a tank, one could 'season' pails of tapwater by adding plants with existing root systems - even terrestrial plants with root systems would do the trick as long as their leaves are emersed.

Hi all,
From the answer, it seems that the roots of plants is a potential inoculum source - so before setting up a tank, one could 'season' pails of tapwater by adding plants with existing root systems - even terrestrial plants with root systems would do the trick as long as their leaves are emersed.
That is really the million dollar question. I think the answer is "yes", but it is a guess. Hopefully some-one will quantify the relative proportions of "found it" to "sat waiting".
That is an interesting question. It looks like COMAMMOX Nitrospira and Ammonia Oxidising Archaea (AOA) are pretty much universal in low ammonia situations, but that could be because,
  • they are very efficient at finding these resources, or
  • it could be because they've had a very long time (most of the last 3.5 billion years) to become universal or
  • a combination of both factors.
I don't know the answer to that one, again I'd guess it is a mixture of both factors, but I have no idea of the relative proportions of "found it" to "sat waiting".
Also another guess, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if a commercial company tries the <"Secret Ingredient Soup"> as a sales line.
....... Which would suggest that any, non-tissue cultured, plant would do. If you were to culture a submerged plant, in a leaf mold based medium, I'm 99% certain that would work as an inoculum source.

You would just need a plant that is ~guaranteed to grow. I'm going to suggest Hygrophila corymbosa , but there might be another, even more bullet proof, option.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Back