• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Best pressurised co2 system for 19l

Matnez

Hi, I have been reading around a lot of different threads and I'm trying to work out what the best type of co2 system would be for my 19l Fluval Spec.

I'm getting really confused about all the different regs and thread sizes. I have been very interested in this set up Cheap pressurised CO2 system DIY guide | UK Aquatic Plant Society but I'm still unsure if it is the best way to go, I have heard stories of where the regulator dumps co2 into the tank when the canister is nearly empty killing all the live stock.

I have seen this regulator EASY AQUA Co2 Plant Aquarium Simple Regulator Manometer | eBay but again I'm unsure if it is any good and what bottles I can use it on.

I was wondering if any of you could recommend a simple cost effect system for my nano tank. I am very 'hands on' so constructing a system is not a problem.

Many thanks,

Matt

Both setups have crappy needle wheels which make it very difficult (and dangerous) to keep a constant CO2 rate, especially on a 19 litre.

I'm not sure where you can get different models than these though, since I'm not from the UK.

End of tank dump can be an issue on every single stage regulator. It's not a common issue, just one to be aware of. As far as I am aware there is no company manufacturing aquarium dual stage regulators. This means that if you did feel the need for a dual stage you would have to make it up yourself which can be a real headache of a process as you need to know thread standards etc. now there are many options out there of co2 systems. What we would need to know to begin with is how much space you have to house a system and how much money you would be looking to spend? Also with regards to the poor needle valve post you can always upgrade the needle valve to one which will out perform any currently manufactured aquarium valve. There are always options available.

Hello mate.

I'm just the same, when people mention thread sizes and this reg and that solenoid and blah blah it gets abit much I need to see and touch to understand how it all works.

Right your need list

•Fire extinguisher 2kg;
ebay or a local fire safety firm.

•Regulator;
Always worth having a solenoid attached item as it saves co2 and also keeps co2 consistent.

Item 300838698376 on ebay is perfect and well priced. BUY IT!!!

Bubble counter- counts...bubbles :) used to give you an idea roughly how much co2 you adding.

Item 200780032331 well priced quality bubble counter

•Drop checker;
Indicates by the use of fluid(which u an get from the for sale section of the forum) what your co2 level is in the tank. Blue is too low green is right and yellow is danger! Haha the liquid changes colour as the water gets enriched.

Item - 221047964284 cheap and comes with solution

Stop valve;

Stops siphon effect of co2 tubing. So no back flow of water into the solenoid wen co2 is not running.

You'll find these easy on ebay

Same as co2 tubing

Now for the best bit! The diffuser...
I FUMIN love the fluval diffuser, I've owned super mist atomisers nice glass diffusers and I owned the fluval. It beas them hands down!! So please take my recommendation an get one :)

Item 190543873883 :)

That's all ya need. Don't waste your time with nano kits as soda stream. It's just pointless, the nano kits cost a tone to run, the soda stream is ok but the 30quid adapter you need is just more ££

Co2 from an FE will last you 9 months I reckon. It lasted me hat long anyways...maybe longer

I strongly recommend checking out our sponsors for all of these items before making the ebay purchase, I used those as quick examples . You will hae better warranty and a better level of care with the forum sponsers.

Happy camping

End of tank dump can be an issue on every single stage regulator. It's not a common issue, just one to be aware of. As far as I am aware there is no company manufacturing aquarium dual stage regulators. This means that if you did feel the need for a dual stage you would have to make it up yourself which can be a real headache of a process as you need to know thread standards etc. now there are many options out there of co2 systems. What we would need to know to begin with is how much space you have to house a system and how much money you would be looking to spend? Also with regards to the poor needle valve post you can always upgrade the needle valve to one which will out perform any currently manufactured aquarium valve. There are always options available.

Thanks for that, I was under the impression that tank dumps only happened on non-aquarium regulators so that makes me feel a little better that it is not a very common issue.

In regards to space, I do have a reasonable amount of space to play with, I think a 2KG FE would be the maximum maybe a little too big... And I don't really want to have to spend more than £100 if I can avoid it, thats why the welding co2 thread appealed to me.

Hello mate.

I'm just the same, when people mention thread sizes and this reg and that solenoid and blah blah it gets abit much I need to see and touch to understand how it all works.

Right your need list

•Fire extinguisher 2kg;

•Regulator;
Always worth having a solenoid attached item as it saves co2 and also keeps co2 consistent.

Bubble counter- counts...bubbles :) used to give you an idea roughly how much co2 you adding.

•Drop checker;
Indicates by the use of fluid(which u an get from the for sale section of the forum) what your co2 level is in the tank. Blue is too low green is right and yellow is danger! Haha the liquid changes colour as the water gets enriched.

Stop valve;

Stops siphon effect of co2 tubing. So no back flow of water into the solenoid wen co2 is not running.

Same as co2 tubing

I FUMIN love the fluval diffuser, I've owned super mist atomisers nice glass diffusers and I owned the fluval. It beas them hands down!! So please take my recommendation an get one :)

That's all ya need. Don't waste your time with nano kits as soda stream. It's just pointless, the nano kits cost a tone to run, the soda stream is ok but the 30quid adapter you need is just more ££

Co2 from an FE will last you 9 months I reckon. It lasted me hat long anyways...maybe longer

I strongly recommend checking out our sponsors for all of these items before making the ebay purchase, I used those as quick examples . You will hae better warranty and a better level of care with the forum sponsers.

Happy camping

Wow thank you for all that info, I will have a look at all the things you recommend and add it all up :) What height does you 2KG FE stand at with the reg fitted? I just wondering if it would fit in my cabinet.

Thanks again

Just to add to the bottle options. A 20oz paintball tank will be smaller than an FE. There are din477 (brittish co2 thread standard) to CGA320(paintball thread standard) adapters. The bottle will cost you around £20 with a bit of searching and refills will be fairly cheap aswell. It's not as money saving as an FE but is an option to keep things smaller. If you did want to save money you could use an FE or even a bigger co2 bottle that you could keep somewhere else in your house and refill the paintball system yourself. Plenty of videos online to show you how to do it. I ran 88g disposable bottles on my 28L tank and was using almost a bottle a week. At £7 a bottle things can get expensive really fast. Another option is disposable welding co2 bottles. Again a different thread size. But works out cheaper than 88g bottles and you
Can order them online rather than having to find a place to refill them.

Thanks for that, I was under the impression that tank dumps only happened on non-aquarium regulators so that makes me feel a little better that it is not a very common issue.

In regards to space, I do have a reasonable amount of space to play with, I think a 2KG FE would be the maximum maybe a little too big... And I don't really want to have to spend more than £100 if I can avoid it, thats why the welding co2 thread appealed to me.

I will have a quick look around and try to find an adaptor that will allow you to run welding bottles from a din477 reg. you are miles better off buying a din477 reg and adapting it to run on different bottles than buying a reg for the bottle you want. People will more than likely
Buy a din477 reg and any other if you were to sell it on at any point. Another things to look at is working pressure. Some diffusers need a high working pressure to be able to work. An adjustable reg would be a must for this.

Just to add to the bottle options. A 20oz paintball tank will be smaller than an FE. There are din477 (brittish co2 thread standard) to CGA320(paintball thread standard) adapters. The bottle will cost you around £20 with a bit of searching and refills will be fairly cheap aswell. It's not as money saving as an FE but is an option to keep things smaller. If you did want to save money you could use an FE or even a bigger co2 bottle that you could keep somewhere else in your house and refill the paintball system yourself. Plenty of videos online to show you how to do it. I ran 88g disposable bottles on my 28L tank and was using almost a bottle a week. At £7 a bottle things can get expensive really fast. Another option is disposable welding co2 bottles. Again a different thread size. But works out cheaper than 88g bottles and you
Can order them online rather than having to find a place to refill them.
Thanks for that I will have a look into the paintball option as well :) I am very keen on the disposable welding co2 route due to the small out lay cost, in the thread on here the guy set a very simple one up for £50..

I will have a quick look around and try to find an adaptor that will allow you to run welding bottles from a din477 reg. you are miles better off buying a din477 reg and adapting it to run on different bottles than buying a reg for the bottle you want. People will more than likely
Buy a din477 reg and any other if you were to sell it on at any point. Another things to look at is working pressure. Some diffusers need a high working pressure to be able to work. An adjustable reg would be a must for this.
Thanks for that, very useful advice :)

Looking at your budget an UPaqua regulator, FE and all the required tubing, check valve, bubble counter and diffuser would come in at around £100. This system IMO would be a good option. The welding setup would be cheap but it may not to be the ideal setup. I'll take a look and price one up anyway just for pure interest.

Welding co2 is ok I guess. Used it and didnt like it. The cheap regs are terrible, n messing around with adapters is a waste of ££

A quick look at the regs and £35 for one with a single gauge. This is before factoring in the solenoid and needle valve. The money saved wouldnt be that great tbh. Plus the savings from using an FE would make the FE system cheaper in the long run.

Welding co2 is ok I guess. Used it and didnt like it. The cheap regs are terrible, n messing around with adapters is a waste of ££

I actually disagree with the adapters being a waste of money. If a big bottle of co2 had just run out and I was unable to get it refilled. Having an adaptor and a disposable co2 bottle on hand would get my tank full of co2 until I was able to make the trip. Plus I like the idea of being able to use one regulator in many different situations.

Thanks for all this information guys, I'm beginning to get a good idea of what is needed and that cheap is defiantly not always best.
I think that the FE route is going to be the best option. I just need to work out the size of it all and if it would fit in my cabinet.

Thanks for all this information guys, I'm beginning to get a good idea of what is needed and that cheap is defiantly not always best.
I think that the FE route is going to be the best option. I just need to work out the size of it all and if it would fit in my cabinet.
Nice one, will take a look:D

Hello mate.

Right your need list

•Fire extinguisher 2kg;

•Regulator;

•Drop checker;

Stop valve;

Same as co2 tubing

Happy camping

I used this post as a shopping list and used the FE tutorials as a guide and set up my first pressurized co2 today... Went like a dream. Thanks Nayr88

I used this post as a shopping list and used the FE tutorials as a guide and set up my first pressurized co2 today... Went like a dream. Thanks Nayr88
I'm glad you found it helpful Rockwell. I have brought everything from this shopping list too, all the bit should be here next week. Can not wait.

A massive thank you too to Nayr88, breaking it all down as you did made the whole process a lot less daunting and doable, cheers buddy.

Now all there is to do is build the system :) fingers crossed

Back