• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Best Snail for eating fuzz on plants?

Im looking for the best snail, preferably one that need SW too reproduce for my 6.6G shrimp tank, its a few days old and already has diatom algae ( at least i think it is) and its really bugging me, whats the best snail for the job?

Mitchell.

It is most likley diatoms and an otto will fix that real quick and a plus is they are shrimp safe.
The snail you are referring to is a nerite (they sometimes have a habit of laying eggs on driftwood or glass that dont hatch but can be unsightly and difficult to remove) they tend to be used to remove green spot/dot algae but will eat diatom as well.

Why not try a couple of ottos? They make light work of diatoms
Mind you if only a few days old I wouldn't add any live stock just let the diatoms run there course and keep up with twice weekly water changes and keep lighting down to 5-6 hours

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alright, i've actually got an otto in there at the moment who dosnt seem to be helping, ill put in another 2 from my other 6.6G to see if it will help.

Ill tell u now... No animal is good at eating algae. They all produce more waste than they are worth. This may be a controversial viee but i think its right...

The best algae eaters I ever had were some freshwater nerites. Quite small, but mega efficient at algae eating.

I can never see the ottos eating it, there always on the side, were there is no algae >.<

very odd was going to say there probly muching them as a food source and not the algea growing in your tank very odd

mine seam to float round all day clean everything jumping from plant to plant

how many you got and what size is the tank

Theres 2, couldnt find the 3rd in my other 6.6G (got 2 of the same tank) so one tank has 1 and the other 2, the tank that has 1 is cleaner and has no algae compared to the one with 2.

Mitchell.

Ill try that, but i've never seen them touch the tablets.

Mitchell.

Back