• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Best way to prime a new external filter?

DanMac

Hi guys i should be getting a new jbl e700 in a few hours to replace my current e700 (my current one doesnt run properly due to a stupid mistake i made when i first got it)

Whats the best way to get it started?, should i fill it up with water manually and then turn it on, or should i use the primer to fill it and then turn it on?

Either way i will be squeezing my old sponges into the filter to transfer the bacteria before i switch it on.

Cheers.

So i should sqeeze the sponges into the actual tank when its all running, rather then into the filter?

and keep both of the levers open when priming?

I'd just put one of the old sponges in the new filter for a week or so. If the new filter is going on a mature tank there should be plenty bacteria in the water, on the plants, gravel, glass etc
And yes both levers open. I only close my taps when cleaning filters but some people use them to reduce flow for smaller tanks

Im good to go then, Cheers for the quick response guys, I cant wait to have good water flow again:)

I usually fill the intake tubing/hose with tank water with disconnect's closed.
I then open the disconnect's and water from filled tube start's the water moving and bubbles escape through spray bar/lily pipe as canister fill's.
When all bubbles have stopped, I then plug the filter in and it's off and running.
I only have to prime it when I take the hoses to sink for cleaning.

I usually fill the intake tubing/hose with tank water with disconnect's closed.
I then open the disconnect's and water from filled tube start's the water moving and bubbles escape through spray bar/lily pipe as canister fill's.
When all bubbles have stopped, I then plug the filter in and it's off and running.
I only have to prime it when I take the hoses to sink for cleaning.

I tried this once only to discover the closed taps don't fit through the cutouts in cabinet, one day I'll get round to making them bigger

WOW now thats what im talking about!.

The flow of this is incredible, to the point where i think i may need to slow it down a little,if i were to do that should i close both of the levers slightly?, do they have to be at a perfectly even point?

Cheers mate, this has restored faith in my tank,i knew the flow would be better but not by this much:)

Back