• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Betta fish enquiry

Imo, depends on the betta. Some can be so stroppy. I wouldn't chance gouramis personally. Shrimps are a possibility, just be prepared they might end up being dinner! Cardinals I've never tried, but I did have a particularly aggressive betta bite the tail off a neon once!! Ottos should be a fairly safe bet though.

I have had a male Betta since September 2009 coexisting with other fish - neon tetra, rummy nose tetras, ottos and corydoras, and flying foxes. Initially I had some black widow tetrasand there was a bit of 'territorial disputes' but only when the 'chief' was making a bubble nest for a non-existent female :lol:
I decided to let go of the widows and everything’s been fine since, in a planted aquarium such a mix would be safe as the fish will have plenty of hiding spots to retreat to if there’s trouble :thumbup:

Christie_ZXR said:
Imo, depends on the betta.

:lol:

tekopikin said:
...... in a planted aquarium such a mix would be safe as the fish will have plenty of hiding spots to retreat to if there’s trouble :thumbup:

Cheers. I think i am gonna put in the betta with the otos in first.

It really Does depend on the individual Betta.
ATM I have male with Cories, Platty's, Rams, Ottos, Cherry Shrimp and Heterandria Formosa. And Not had any Problems. I have provided plenty of Hiding Spaces in case of trouble. Also The Same goes for Females, who from experience are more aggressive than males.

It is true, that's what I love about betta. :D They have such individual little personalities. Some of them are wet weekends, some of them seem to think they're miniture sharks out to take on and destroy the world! :lol:

faizal said:
Thanks Gill . do you think a betta has what it takes to take on a dragonfly nymph?

If it Thinks it can it will. If its a Wuss then it will hide from it.

Christie_ZXR said:
..... some of them seem to think they're miniture sharks out to take on and destroy the world! :lol:

That's what I'm talking about,...yeah!!!

Gill said:
If it Thinks it can it will. If its a Wuss then it will hide from it.

Then I am gonna get myself a "John Rambo" Big A** Betta for the job. :D Those nymphs picked out the wrong tank to settle in. :lol:

Lol!! I have visions of a little fish with something tied round his head wielding a mini machete hacking his way through the jungles of the tank on a hunting spree...!

:lol:

I think my luck is turning around for the better though coz I haven't been able to spot any nymphs / larvae the last couple of days. I might just wait a week or 2 before adding fish,...but yeah definetely a betta with a mini machete. You can never be too careful. :lol:

Back