• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Bettas & flow

Zoe

Yesterday I got my first Betta! He’s in a planted fluval spec v.

Currently I have the pump on the highest setting, but I have angled it up and at the front glass. The Betta seems ok with his, most of the tank is low flow with just the top front fast, he’s even been swimming into the flow.

My question is, how do I know if the flow is too high?

If it happily swims all over the tank and continues to eat, the flow should be fine. If it hangs around in one place where the current is weakest and doesn't show normal behaviour, then the flow is probably too strong.

I used to keep mine in the spec v, lowest flow, with sponge stuffed into outtake also.

As mentioned above, it probably won't hurt your betta to have some flow, but in nature they come from virtually zero flow

If it happily swims all over the tank and continues to eat, the flow should be fine. If it hangs around in one place where the current is weakest and doesn't show normal behaviour, then the flow is probably too strong.
Ok I’ll keep an eye on him for now, he’s swimming all over even in the strongest flow at the moment

Ok I’ll keep an eye on him for now, he’s swimming all over even in the strongest flow at the moment

I wouldn't overly worry about flow unless the Betta was getting thrown around the tank like leaf litter on a windy day. Fish can sense the direction and strength of water so if he goes into the outlet and gets blown about I suspect it's because he wants to. I find some fish just enjoy it.

Depends on the type of beta as well, I have a half moon plakat, they have shorter tails and fins, and he absolutely loves the flow, surfing in and out of it. Then when he wants to chill, he finds a spot, usually one of the top corners in the tank. If your beta has long tail, then I suggest increase the flow gradually and find what he can cope. Also that would help him to build some muscle as well. Monitor him closely and maybe lower the flow at nights, even get one of those beta hammocks, or long leafed plants towards the top of the tank.

Depends on the type of beta as well, I have a half moon plakat, they have shorter tails and fins, and he absolutely loves the flow, surfing in and out of it. Then when he wants to chill, he finds a spot, usually one of the top corners in the tank. If your beta has long tail, then I suggest increase the flow gradually and find what he can cope. Also that would help him to build some muscle as well. Monitor him closely and maybe lower the flow at nights, even get one of those beta hammocks, or long leafed plants towards the top of the tank.
I believe he's a Plakat, he definitely has zero trouble swimming even in the strongest current

eiLs2Jr.jpg

Back