• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Big tank lighting

switch01252

Seedling
hi guys I’m getting a 8ft long by 3ftdeep by 32inch high tank that i want to plant I’m just wondering will light go down that far i was thinking 6 t5 lights or more any suggestions?

this is my rio 400 atm still new to the plants side glass does need a clean
IMG_0140.jpg

IMG_0143.jpg

plants have been cut back alot as the vails norm grow over the tank and the middle plants have been hacked back for new plants coming through

the 8ft tank will be for my discus which are in the tank above

any of your help or suggestion’s will be fantastic

Thanks Steve

switch01252 said:
hi guys I’m getting a 8ft long by 3ftdeep by 32inch high tank that i want to plant I’m just wondering will light go down that far i was thinking 6 t5 lights or more any suggestions?

Thanks Steve

Steve,

my tank is fairly similar to your planned set up. The only thing i would suggest really considering is 32" high tank, several people gave me advice about the practicle difficulty of high 30" aquariums. It is possible, but does make it more difficult to carry out maintenance in planted aquariums. I prpbably would have gone to 30" max, but it is your decision ofcourse, just consider it thats all.

Lighting wise though t5s are totally upto the job if you use reflectors. Have a look at my journal if you want, I even found all 8x t5s on, 18" above the water suface too much to have on for all the photo period duration, so i only have full light for an hour or two in the evening, 50% (x4 tubes) the rest of the time. Part of this high light output may be down to the luminaires that I use.

I also have given PAR readingsin the journal, if that helps.

http://ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11386

Dont let anyone tell you t5s cant punch to the depth of your tank for good plant growth, they are more than adequate.

fantastic thankyou will be reading yours from now on i was going to go for a 3ft high tank but it would cost alot more so they said 32 would bring it down by alot i don't mind reaching down to the bottom of the tank i have long arms :D lo

this is my first tank being all so i am still learning all the ropes with it but byy the time i get round to having this tank i should know abit more lol

just looked at your tank i love it i was only thinking 6 t5s 3 pro plant and 3 norm or 4 pro and and 3 norm where did you get your stumps from they look amazing the only thing with my tank is that i want a closed hoo

switch01252 said:
just looked at your tank i love it i was only thinking 6 t5s 3 pro plant and 3 norm or 4 pro and and 3 norm where did you get your stumps from they look amazing the only thing with my tank is that i want a closed hoo

the stumps were a lucky find by chance at Shirley Aquatics in the midlands.

Closed hood is fine, infact if you do go close hood it would be better if you dont get a luminaire style unit, but somthing like the D-D razor lite ballast each holding 2x54w or even individual ballasts per t5. That way you can space your light more evenly. I only get away with the ATI units becuase i can suspend them high enough to give a good (ish) lighting spread. 6 t5s is certainly fine. I could grow all my plants using just 4.

Back