• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Black algae in new setup :(

Hey guys,

A new update - I went to Egypt for the holidays and returned 5 days later with some more algae in my tank. It was well for a few days after I cleaned but apparently, it went back to having more Cyno algae :(
I have done 30% WC and tried to clean as much as possible the algae on the soil - which is very difficult to clean it properly - but it seems there is something missing, or too much of something or I am doing something really wrong but I can't seem to know what :(

Some pictures of the tank

Attachments

• IMG_9414.JPG
    IMG_9414.JPG
    5.2 MB · Views: 73
  • IMG_9415.JPG
    IMG_9415.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 62
  • IMG_9416.JPG
    IMG_9416.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 68
  • IMG_9417.JPG
    IMG_9417.JPG
    5.2 MB · Views: 62
Looking at the reflections in the tank glass I can see that you’re up high (large horizon) and the tank is next to the window and it looks like direct sunlight is making it into the tank, this is a no no, the plant obliteration and rampant algae growth is very likely a direct result of this, it would be wise to shade the tank from receiving any of this direct light.

:)

Looking at the reflections in the tank glass I can see that you’re up high (large horizon) and the tank is next to the window and it looks like direct sunlight is making it into the tank, this is a no no, the plant obliteration and rampant algae growth is very likely a direct result of this, it would be wise to shade the tank from receiving any of this direct light.

Yes, it is. I do have the tank covered until I usually get home which is already night time yet, I did think a few days ago that the blanket I use to cover the tank is a little too thin and makes the tank not fully dark as (maybe) supposed to be? Could this be a problem?

Yeah definately a problem as you’re seeing the results with uncontrollable algae growth that’s just swallowing everything, most fabrics are useless at keeping out direct sunlight, you would be better using something that was light impermeable like black plastic sheeting instead. The direct sunlight will make it extremely difficult to gain balance in the tank. Ideally moving the tank out of direct sunlight would be the best option.

Yeah definately a problem as you’re seeing the results with uncontrollable algae growth that’s just swallowing everything, most fabrics are useless at keeping out direct sunlight, you would be better using something that was light impermeable like black plastic sheeting instead. The direct sunlight will make it extremely difficult to gain balance in the tank. Ideally moving the tank out of direct sunlight would be the best option.

I will get something to cover it, fully be anti-sun, and do the blackout treatment to see if it calms down. I went from 5 Otos to 2 in this last week 😢

I will get something to cover it, fully be anti-sun, and do the blackout treatment to see if it calms down. I went from 5 Otos to 2 in this last week 😢
What’s your water like? You’re doing lots of water changes but it seems you still have a lot of nutrients. You might have high nitrates and phosphates out of the tap.

Hi @Sirkavu
Purchase a whole load of fast-growing stem plants and throw them in the aquarium the more the better.
There is a list here below.....you can also implement the suggestion within the Tutorial.
hoggie

What’s your water like? You’re doing lots of water changes but it seems you still have a lot of nutrients. You might have high nitrates and phosphates out of the tap.
I measured the water before the WC's and it all seems good. I will do another WC this Tuesday and see how the water is and update here

Hi @Sirkavu
Purchase a whole load of fast-growing stem plants and throw them in the aquarium the more the better.
There is a list here below.....you can also implement the suggestion within the Tutorial.
hoggie
Hey GHNelson - thank you for poping in :)) I did think of this and not sure why I never got it - I am going to jump on Pro-Shrimp and get quite a few of the ones you've put on the list. Hopefully I get them by end of the week - thanks again buddy

Back