• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

blackout?

hudsonpd

I started up my tank 13-14 wks ago. It started well with plants growing really well for 2 months, without CO2 or nutrients being added. I slowly built up my fish stock too. It was quite a heavily planted tank - I would say about 60-70% planted.

The tank is a metre long by 55cm high. It is lit with 4*TMC LED Grolights. About 180 litres actual water and filter is external Fluval 305.

Then suddenly algae after about 9-10 wks. Cladophora algae, Thread algae and maybe fuzz algae covering plant leaves.

I had had the lights on for 9hrs a day, so I reduced this to 7-7 1/2 hours as I thought this was causing it. I also introduced CO2 as I thought this was lacking and would help plants to outgrow the algae. EVery time I have tested water it has been near perfect, no amonia traces and low nitrates.

The CO2 turns the drop checker lime green also.

I now do 50% water changes weekly and the algea keeps coming back, albeit in lower numbers. I then thought I needed to add nutrients because of reading posts on here. I have bought a TMC complete after reading a good post on it as a simple starting point. I add it 3 times a week given how many plants there are and people said you couldn't have too much.

I have bought 5 ottos and want 5 amano shrimp but can't find any.

What do I do next? Increase nutrients further? Increase light again? Blackout and return conditions to starting point?

I don't think it is a flow problem (although it probably could be improved) as where there is a lot of algae there is very good flow! Are the nutrients now feeding the algae further or will they help plants outgrow it? DO I have to blackout to get rid and then hope the conditions are now right?

I don't really know what cuased the sudden outburst given water tests have always been so good. I am presuming it was lack of nutrients that slowed plant growth and cause decaying leaves. Even my Caboma is struggling now! And that was growing great guns at the start and I had to cut it back, but it never really recovered after that! Did that cause my problems? I don't really know what to do next!

Many thanks
Paul

Hi Paul,

I think you have answered your own question there; not adding nutrients early on caused the plants to use what was available then stall. The decaying leaves will be releasing ammonia back into the water feeding your various algae blooms.

If your algae situation is really bad I would proceed with a blackout, performing daily water changes to keep the inevitable ammonia surge low. Afterwards I would concentrate on stability – stop adjusting parameters for a while otherwise you will have no idea what affect each change is having in the short term.

Have you considered using EI fertilisation? Considering your plant density and High tech setup I think it would be the most appropriate both for results and cost savings.

Otto's and shrimp are great, they efectively eradicated all traces of algae from my large setup overnight, where abouts are you? ammano shrimp are fairly common - try Maidenhead aquatics or sometimes Pets @ Home carry them.

I’m still new at this so I’m sure a more experienced member will confirm\deny!

Ian,

Thanks for your reply. Do I need a blackout? The algae is annoying but will I be able to outgrow it? Will the shrimp help eradicate it as well? The ottos don't seem to touch the clumpy stuff, sticking to leaves and glass.

The EI method just seemed complicated at this stage and yet another thing to try and understand! I wasn't really sure where to start with it! Any pointers?......

Do I need to increase my ferts further? To everyday?

I am in the nth west north of Preston and hope the nearby Blackpool Maidenhead will stock the shrimp soon. Otherwise I may try and transport back when on a business trip to London! The aquatic design centre on portland St is a great shop!

Algae blooms are caused by too much light and ammonia spike
Test kits won't pick up the small amount of ammonia needed to cause algae
The lights you have are of unknown power so try reducing down to 2 bars and a 6 hr photo period
Are you only running the 305? if so then you are nowhere near the 10x flow recommended for a hi tech( with co2) tank
If your tank is 180ltrs then you need to look at 1800ltrs hr flow
I don't know the tmc ferts but does it contain NPK ? If yes then take the stated amount and add it daily
Manually remove as much algae as possible try adding exel or easycarbo to help with the problem
So to sum up
1.Reduce light
2. Add ferts daily
3. Remove as much algae manually as you can do this regularly
4. Add more flow= another filter or circulation pumps
5. Read as many ukaps threads as pos to get as much info as you can handle
6. Don't give up it will all suddenly click and work and the rewards are well worth it
Hope this helps
Matt

I'm guessing the clumpy stuff is black brush algae, there’s not much that will eat this unfortunately.
Have a look here to find out what algae you have and some treatment advice.

Matt's right about the flow, I was convinced I had enough but eventually added a large internal pump (Koralia) and replaced my fluval 405 with an FX5. This has massively improved everything from growth to preventing algae.

Not many people are using LED's for planted aquaria yet so advice may be scarce - although it does appear to be excessive for the size you have (if the output is comparative to T5's?)

Keep the light period or lower it to 6h, start the co2 2-3h before the lights and turn it off 2-3h before they go off.
Nutrients should be added normal, using EI you reset the nutrient level at water change that should be around 50% or more so it doesn't matter how much you add. Add a spraybar to your filter to cover all the back of the tank if you don't have one already so the flow will cover all the tank evenly. Let the plants grow and only after they develop well cut the affected parts and replant. For cladophora/spyrogyra if any try and find some Amano shrimps the rest will fade away eventually. You ain't gonna kill black brush with a blackout. That's it. Patience my friend. :)

Good luck,
Mike

Back