• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Blue Green Algae

johnfw

Seedling
Hi All

I have a problem with what I think is Blue Green Algae which started to appear 6 months ago. I have a 430 litre tropical tank which was set up 33 months ago. The substrate is a 4 to 5 cm base of washed peat and 5 cm of washed gravel, separated by a mesh net.

My lighting is 2x 54w T5 Plant Pro tubes which are on for 5 hours during the Summer, 6 hours Spring and Autumn and 7 hours during the Winter: - they have not been changed since the setting up of the aquarium. No direct light gets to the tank although the room has windows on three sides.

The tank is filtered by a Eheim 2075 external filter which is cleaned every 2/3 months and in addition I have two air stones and a Koralia water pump which gives a flow rate of 2800 lit p.h. A water change is done every 2 weeks of 10% of the tank capacity.

Since I set the tank up, my water readings have been PH of 7.4 to 8.0, Amonia 0, Nitrite 0 and Nitrate of 40 to max 80.

My plants consist of Giant Vallis, Normal Vallis, Amazon Swords and Crypts. All are growing well apart from The Amazon Swords which have become stunted.

My 15 fish are fed twice a day but only what can be eaten in 2 - 3 mins.

I have been advised to strip my tank down as it is the old peat which is causing the bacteria and I have read the article on James' Planted Tank regarding Blue Green Algae.

I do not have and CO2 system and should be grateful for further advice as my water readings appear to be ok.

Regards John

Back