• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Blyxa Melt?

Mine has melted totally, so only roots are now left... I have no leaves at all, only helathy roots. Will it recover too?

The guy who gave me this plant, used 100% RO water, and mine is regular, hard tap water, so I think that's the reason of the problem...

They will not probably recover, some leaves should have left. Time will tell. Once I got from 12 stems only 4 key to success is to get a lot of blyxa and from various sources and some will survive and adapt.

Sonnyarba said:
Mine has melted totally, so only roots are now left... I have no leaves at all, only helathy roots. Will it recover too?

The guy who gave me this plant, used 100% RO water, and mine is regular, hard tap water, so I think that's the reason of the problem...
No this is not true at all. Blyxa could care less about RO or water type change. This is the same rubbish people are told about crypts. These are all myths. You should know by now that the only reason Blyxa, or any other plants melts is that there was a negative change in the CO2. Fix your CO2/flow or reduce the lighting and your Blyxa will grow like the weed it is.

Cheers,

Fine but this plant is very picky about transport and aclimatization. Once it travels to you and melt on the way you have low chance. I ordered at least 3 batches until I got normal one from local aquarist.

I guess that's what they say in The Matrix. Lets take a 500 mg dose of reality pill.

Here is Blyxa planted on the same day that the tank was flooded. The plants were purchased from Malaysia, and therefore had travelled 8000 miles 4th class, so they were in the post about 7 days and were not happy campers. The water is murky in this shot but you can still make out the plants. By the way, the GH was at least 25 German hardness degrees (approx 450ppm.)
2575812180038170470S600x600Q85.jpg

Here are those same plants almost exactly 8 weeks later. Think about it: How could a change of water parameters be an issue if you change your water every week without the plants melting? If anything, they do better after a water parameter change.
2739085890038170470S600x600Q85.jpg

You can see a couple more shots of these in the thread Blyxa Japonica Flowers Underwater

Picky? Absolutely not. The problems with Blyxa always start in the mind of the aquarist. If Blyxa is picky it's because it does not tolerate CO2 carelessness. Instead of blaming the plant, only try to realize the truth and blame yourself for poor execution of flow/CO2. It's highly likely that if Blyxa melts in your tank then it is a warning that more CO2 related problems are lying in wait just around the corner, so you have to recognize this and stop looking under stones.

Good CO2, NPK+Traces as well as good flow/distribution are how you convince Blyxa to not melt, and really, that's true of all plants. I can only think of about 5-10 truly picky plants. None of them are called Blyxa. Like all the other weeds, once you allow this plant to bulk up on CO2 it becomes obnoxious and unstoppable. Melting plants ALWAYS means poor CO2 and can never mean anything else. Once you accept this and internalize the concept you'll be on the path to success.

Cheers,

I second Clive's comment, and at least that is true with crypts. I have not had yet a crypt melt, but this I due to high co2 on the tank.

I also move crypts between the tanks, as I thin the mass on the main tank, and they do well.

Co2 is the key, the blocks of life.

I am just saying if you receive plant in half melt then no magic will help and she can do that while travels. You have been lucky receiving it healthy I was not. Even when transported within London 1 day delivery plant suffered some melt during transport. Leaves are too fragile.

If I got it healthy she just melted few leaves but then picked up strongly. My co2 is more than 30ppm.

If plant would be easy to transport and easy to establish you would see more of it selling around even from brand suppliers but you don't. So your arguments does not convince me about easiness of this plant ;).

Radik, you may be right, this plant is not often seen by suppliers, but how many suppliers or shops have CO2 on their tanks?

I never owned this plant, but I am rescaping my tank and I am thinking that it would be a good plant to have. Will order some from Planted Tanks, they get theirs from Asia and see how it grows with the CO2 and ferts routine I have.

For crypts, I think that crypt melt is a myth, that I am almost sure off, as I have not yet experienced it.

This is a crypt that I got from Asia, two weeks in my tank:
The one right in the middle
5731327145_2be6b2cc47.jpg
DSC_2192 by GHOSTSWORD, on Flickr

Close up of the leaves:
5731857930_7c1ce7bf72.jpg
DSC_2172 by GHOSTSWORD, on Flickr

Good Luis, let us know your success with it. It is my favorite plant,

Crypt melt is probably myth as I never had it as well when planting new plants but last week I run out of co2 for 2 days and some crypts instantly suffered melting. I have crypt green, brown and tropica melted, parva and tonkensis had no issues. This was stopped once I realized no Co2 is there.

Back