• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Boesemani with Lesion

Bertie

Hi,
I have just noticed that one of my Boesemans has a largish Lesion on his top before the dorsal fin. He must of either knocked it on something or he has been attacked.
I do have hydrogen peroxide 3% that I can dab on it or Myxazin to treat or should I just leave it a while and see what happens? Here is a pic of it.
2skWr2N.jpg

Hi Bertie, a nice bow you have!

At this point I would just concentrate on keeping water ultraclean for few days and not to medicate. I cant see fungus (wich is a good sign) but is there? Our bows and congos get sometimes similar wounds when teasing each other but they never turn to problems when water is kept clean. You will see some improvment soon (2-3 days) if so. It is possible that fish gets there a bacterial infection, then it is time to medicate. Usually fish in good condition can handle wounds very well, that bow seems to be strong one. I sometimes add peat extract (when wounds) but hard to say help it or not, they say it has an antibacterial affect. I personally try to avoid medicating as long as possible (for sure sometimes it is needed!) and fancy too see how amazing "med" clear water is!

Hi and thanks for the comments I try and keep my Rainbows in tip top condition. That wound only happened overnight as I only noticed it this morning when the lights came on. The water is in good condition (yesterday was water change day). The wound does look very clean and I also do not like to medicate until necessary. I do not know how the wound happened, although I have noticed today that my Siamese Flying Fox has been having a "go" at quite a few fish and even at my large Red Rainbow. Why it should start doing that now I don't know as they have all been tank mates for quite some time.
Thanks

SAE's, can get very aggressive and territorial as they get older and bigger - how big is it? also they seem to slow down on eating some algae too.

Hi Gary,
I understood that the Siamese Flying Fox, rather than the Flying Fox , was placid? it is nearly 6 inches I would say. Here is a pic of it. Excuse the tatty Dorsal fin.

ucs99Fr.jpg

Yes he is the only one...did not want them fighting ;) If he is I will have to watch him as I don't think our lfs would take him and my son already has a red tailed shark so there would be a bloodbath if it went in with the shark!

i'd just keep your eye on him Bert.... Rainbows are well known for play fighting amongst other rainbows though, mine used to do it nearly all the time, so that could be the way its happened.... just watch and see really - it will more than likely just heal up within a few days, but if its the SAE you might have to move him out.

Thanks Gary, If it is him I think I will have a problem getting him re-homed. Cross that bridge if/when I come to it.

Back