• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Bog wood: Anchoring and Stability

Has anyone had success using a putty like the one below to adhere wood to slate or other stones, rather than going down the drilling route?

Obviously drilling would be more secure, but using a putty, it may be possible to experiment was positions before it sets.

I've not used that myself, but I've had good results with both the old fashioned "cigarette filter and liquid Cyanoacrylate" technique, and more recently with JBL Pro-Haru (the latter requires some time to set, but seems to be holding to wood without issue).

I've not used that myself, but I've had good results with both the old fashioned "cigarette filter and liquid Cyanoacrylate" technique, and more recently with JBL Pro-Haru (the latter requires some time to set, but seems to be holding to wood without issue).
Thanks Wookii. I forgot about the ciggie filter and superglue trick. I suspect it could be too late for me now as I bought some pieces yesterday and they're already soaking. Though I may be able to dry the ends I want to glue off enough to get the glue to adhere. Nothing to lose by giving it a go when I've found a suitable rock. I'm not fussed by glue showing as for the arrangement I have in mind, the rock - hopefully a thick chunk of slate - will be buried in the substrate anyway.

In my experience cigarette filter + super glue will break of the bog wood after 6 months. Very stressful when that happens during maintenance 😭 Recently I’ve used combination of egg crate as the base, then bog wood with lava rock to raise and balance the wood pieces, fastened with black cable ties to egg crate + cigarette filters with superglue for extra sturdiness between rocks and wood. Covered egg crate with dragon store, sand and gravel. No way I’ll knock it off anytime 🤞😁

Hi all,
Obviously drilling would be more secure, but using a putty, it may be possible to experiment was positions before it sets.
I use <"wooden dowels">, they swell when they are wet and effectively lock the pieces together, but before that you can rotate the pieces etc.

cheers Darrel

Back