• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Bolbitus Advice

Stu Worrall

Global Moderator
UKAPS Team
The search didnt turn up much so I thought id adda new thread.

ive had a load of bolbitus growing in my spare 60cm tank for the last year which has been lowtech, no water changes just top ups and no co2.

Ive now moved this into my nano which is hi-tech with co2, more light and ADA ferts so im after any advice anyone has in order to stop any melting problems that people have with it.

At the moment the length of the leaf is ok so it hasnt needed much of a trim. If any get too long then ill just trim them at the base.

I'd like to use easycarbo but im not sure if this has a negative effect on bolbitus?

Hi Stu

Bolbitis is my favourite plant, but also the one I've struggled with the most. I've had it in low-tech, hi-tech, with Excel, without Excel , RO water, tap water, 22 degrees, 29 degrees but it always does the same thing - the stems of the leaves blacken and go soft, then the rest of the leave just dies.

I know thats not at all helpful to you, but I'm looking forward to hearing other peoples tips / experiences with it !

Tony

It's a unpredictable plant, that's for sure.

I don't think there's any real guaranteed method of keeping it healthy. I've had it growing great in my jungle, but in some areas not so great. In full flow with CO2 bubbles blasted at it, it's not faired so well, and in almost dead-spots with hardly any light, it's fine - which is the opposite of what you may expect.

thats a good point to note thanks george. there has been hardly any flow in my spare tank with just an internal powerhead mixing things up slightly. At the moment the bolbitus in my nano is at the back and away from the flow at the front so that will be good for me and i think ill turn the flow down a touch too.

Good stuf to bang heads with ideas :)

Does anyone know if it has any preference on to what it is attached? Wood or rock? I've just ordered 2 bunches off someone on here. It will be going in a low tech tank so hope if fairs well!

Good luck Stu, let us know how it gets on with the change?

Bobtastic said:
Ok, thanks. How did you attach it? Cotton or the super glue?
a mix of things actually. some of the big bits I used small black tie wraps. the more fiddly bits I used 1mm bonsai wire. I dont use superglue as it goes white once underwater and looks minging :(

Back