• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Bolota's nano

Bolota

Hello,

Welcome to my first journal! Before anything else pics from the fantastic beaches where I collect my hardscape (southwest of Portugal). Thats my 2nd best place for holidays (first is Azores but it is to hard to take stones from there!).

P1070645.JPG

And me and my son (Bolota) collecting stones (he was of a great help!):
P1070647.JPG

OK. Now a first hardscape test in a box (of wine of course) with sand. In the tank I shall use a black substrate!

P1070698.JPG

These stones are not very easy to work with because they are more like flat pebbles. Anyway I will try my best.
I don't dislike this layout, although it looks a bit overcrowded. It may not look so but there is still a lot of space for planting though...

I'll get the tank only next saturday. For the moment, here it is what I have ordered.

Tank: 40x25x28
filter: Eheim Ecco pro 130
lights: WAS MAS 15W LED
Soil and subtract: Tropica

Flora: No idea for the moment. I am thinking of mostly grassy type with one or two make a contrast.

Very soon the layout in the tank!

Last edited:
Very different stones. These are a tough gig to make it look natural in your scape. Think of how these would lay in nature...

Hi,

Thank you so much for all your input and comments! Yes, I started with a central composition, and also tested a simple triangular one (all stones pilling up on the left), but none seemed to do well... The central one is quite OK for a front view but looks somewhat strange if seen from the side or above... I'll give it another try though.

thanks.

I love the look of the stones and your beach pictures give ideas for a scape the large cliff in the foreground leading to cliffs in the distance ,good inspiration. Just my opinion but less pebbles in the set up you show maybe

After several other tests I decided for this setup (the clock is ticking for a busy semester....). It still needs touches: remove a few stones, maybe... Suggestions for small changes are very welcome!

As for plants, please advice!!!!

I was thinking of grass:
- Eleocharis sp. (it might be too tall for this nano...?!) or Vallisneria nana.
(Actually, I can skip the background because the tank has already a first plane - the sand bar...).
- Eleocharis parvula or Echinodorus tenellus
- Elecharis mini or Marsilea Hirsuta.

Then to contrast with the grass, one or two of:
- Hygrophila Araguaia
- Ranunculos inundatos
- Hydrocotyle verticillata

If you have experience with any of those please advice!

Thanks!!
P1070702.JPG

Lovely stones!

For the plants;

-eleocharis sp mini as background and beetween the middle rocks.
-marsilea crenata or glosso for foreground.

;)

Thanks!!!!

I'll go with eleocharis mini and HC. Looks like mersilea is out of stock.
HC is famous for being difficult, but I'll give a try before finding a substitute.
You need to fail to learn, they say

Cheers

Hc is the easiest plant I know, just need enough light, no problem on your nano...it even grows without CO2 in my nano cube.

With the Eleocharis mini, it will make a nice duo, good luck! ;)

Not a small change but a curiousity :)

did you try mixing rock angles for a more jumbled look (may not work at all given the space)?

Like the last much better than the first box mock-up

I'd be inclined to try some Eleochris sp for that narrow height line
- you may also go with the easier M 'Monte Carlo' rather than HC

Screen Shot 2016-09-10 at 11.41.16 PM.png
Hello,

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions. Actually Eleocharis is in alto. I send a few pics of the second day after planting. So far so good! too soon for any diagnostics, but the HC looks OK and pearling (is it breathing or giving its final breath :))

Plants: Eleocharis sp. ; Elecharis mini, Tenelus Green; verticillata, and HC....

However, my sand bar is too bright :(. The contrast with black substrate is too striking... can I hill that somehow ???

Screen Shot 2016-09-10 at 11.40.54 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-09-10 at 11.41.46 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-09-10 at 11.41.30 PM.png

Thanks,

Alvaro.

Last edited:
Looking great! ;)

You can add some ada Gravel between sand and soil to add contrast.

Or just let the hc cover it.

Just plain beautiful! I would say don't worry too much about the sand colour... the black will eventually be covered by the plants. And the contrast actually goes well with the stones you picked. :)

Hello,

Some update on the nano.
Surprisingly all plants are doing OK. Some algea but nothing too strong so far. Already added 3 Amano shrimps and a nerit snail. Cuba seems to be carpeting :thumbup:.
I don't know if I shall add more fish or it as a backup to rescape my 60 lt one.
However, suggestions for small hardy fish for this aquarium are welcome.

P1070796.JPG
P1070799.JPG
P1070800.JPG
P1070802.JPG

Back