• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Botanicals that can be collected locally UK?

Robbie X

Hello all.
My new aquascape has a nice size open sandy area in the far right of the tank. I wanted an open area for a shoal of Panda Cories when they are added.
Im probably going to add more river wood and create some arches over the sandy area as this side of the tank looks quite bare.
I am also considering adding some botanicals to this side.
My house backs onto a nice mixed woodland and I’m wondering what botanicals would be safe to collect?
Are there any species of tree seed/fruit I should avoid?
Cheers

Hi all,
Are there any species of tree seed/fruit I should avoid?
Just evergreens and conifers really. Horse Chestnut and Elder would be others that I might avoid.

Beech (Fagus sylvatica) and Oak (Quercus robur) are pretty safe and <"easy to recognise">. I'm an Alder (Alnus glutinosa) "cone" fan as well.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,

Just evergreens and conifers really. Horse Chestnut and Elder would be others that I might avoid.

Beech (Fagus sylvatica) and Oak (Quercus robur) are pretty safe and <"easy to recognise">. I'm an Alder (Alnus glutinosa) "cone" fan as well.

cheers Darrel
Many thanks. My tree ID is not too bad so should have no problems. I’ll do a recce tomorrow if the weather is good and see what I can come up with 😸

Back