• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Botanicals that last longer?

Robbie X

Hello all.
For my upcoming Channa bleheri blackwater species tank I will be going for a submerged root look with lots of wood and multiple species of floating plants.
I want to add lots botanicals and wonder what types of botanicals take the longest to break down?
Champa leaves will be an expedition as I really like they’re look.
Most of the tannins will come from oak leaves in a sort of teabag fashion and of course the hardscape wood so I am not too concerned if botanicals added for the aesthetics do not give of much tannins.
Any tips on this subject are most welcome.
Cheers

There is a guide on here...Ripe for Picking: a Guide to Collecting your own Bountiful Botanicals...created by @shangman which may give you more ideas.
Yes, @Witcher, alder cones do give a quick result & a lot of tannin staining for their size! I leave all my botanicals to decompose completely, I'm very low tech, and have found the alder cones take a long time whilst still retaining their form.

Hi all,
Magnolia or Jack fruit leaves
Evergreen Magnolia (Magnolia grandiflora), Camellia or <"Loquat (Eriobotrya japonica)">. Some <"Loquat leaves"> found their way to <"Colin Dunlop"> via @Lindy. I've <"still got plenty">, if you can't find them anywhere else?
Beech leaves are very long lasting
Beech (Fagus sylvatica) or Oak (Quercus spp.) are other, long lasting, options. I've found that Red Oak (<"Quercus rubra">) and deciduous Magnolia (the ones <"that are flowering now">) leaves don't last long, but are <"popular with "grazers">.

Edit: I should have added in @shangman's thread <"Ripe for Picking: a Guide to Collecting your own Bountiful Botanicals">

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
All great suggestions ! Another suggestion is palm leaves of any size, they last a good amount of time and give a fabulous dramatic tropical look (and are found around the world by water). Find dead ones hanging off palms, I ask neighbours for mine as they're quite popular in gardens.

Just a note that you should add only a handful of botanicals at a time every few days. If you add a lot at once they can deprive the aquarium of oxygen and suffocate creatures. Let the botanical look build over a few weeks rather than instantly for a really stable system, this also allows the right proportion of microfauna to develop.

Looking forward to seeing what you do!

Many thanks all for the great suggestions chaps.
I just found this video by chance. I have recently created a number of terrariums and purchased a bag of what I was told was living sphagnum moss.
It was not healthy at all. So I was looking at some videos of how to reinvigorate the moss and came across this video where part way through he speaks about longer lasting botanicals.

I want to add lots botanicals and wonder what types of botanicals take the longest to break down?
Many nice suggestions here, but most are in fact popular thanks to their ability to leach tannins and other brownish polyphenols.
Beech leaves, on the other side, are very poor in nutrients attractive to microbes. It's basically just polysacharides, slowly decomposing. Almost inert, low-risk, still beautiful.

Back