• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Bottle trap empty

idris

I've had a bottle trap in my tank for a couple of days. Firstly to temporarily rehouse my fish whilst I do a spot of rescaping. And secondly to prove to myself that I still have some Ottos and Amanos left.

For the first few months they were in the tank I'd see The Ottos and Amanos all the time. As I introduced more fish (see signature) they spent more time hiding, but I'd occasionally see shrimps and the Ottos could sometimes be spotted on hte glass after lights-out.
I've not seen an Otto for a couple of weeks or more. And no more than 3 shrimp at any one time.
(There are more than enough places for them all to hide but I have recently had a spate of unexplained deaths, but have seen no dead Ottos or Shrimp.)

The bottle trap has been in the tank for a couple of days, and has been bated with a medium sized algae wafer, a slice of blanched courgette and some shrimp food. Nothing has been caught.

Any thoughts on catching the critters, or at what point I assume they're dead and re-stock?

Actually I've just spotted that the bottle trap has done more harm than good as it's killed a Neon :(

Did you make your own trap?
I have made & successfully used traps before.
Anyway I tied a piece of string around the neck to make it easy to check & only set the thing at night time, checking every morning & removing until re baiting & replaceing every night.
I caught about 100 shrimps but the device never caught the last few!

Traps should be set, light's turned off and checked 2-3 hours afterwards. In a larger tank with fewer occupants to capture maybe 2 traps, 1 in each front corner would help.

I find them reliable for catching cherry shrimp and oto's seem to get caught by them too.

The trap was home made.
I'm Pretty sure the Neon that died was in the trap for less than 2 hrs.

Back