• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

brand new Oase Filtosmart 100 leaking water

rBose

Bought a brand new Oase Filtosmart 100 today, upgrading from an Eheim 150 that I had for almost 4 years now and I have to say I am extremely disappointed, it leaks water everywhere through the main cap and locking mechanism, I added PTFE tape and theres simply no improvement, I cant believe it, I am so disappointed

Before adding PTFE

After PTFE

Is there anything I can do ?

yeah thats what ill do although It doesnt seem to be anything wrong with it, seal is in prefect condition, nothing is broken, no idea how it leaks, seems to lock very tight

Holy crap I fixed it, I decided to give it another go, took all the teflon tape out and only added a 2cm strip right above where the clip grabs the filter body on both sides (thats where it leaked most) and what do you know, its perfectly fine now been running for over 3 hours, I even tested it with in and out at max flow, no issues
So reminder for people who buy these filters and have issues with them, dont waste your time trying to seal the entire cap with teflon tape, just add a 2-3cm wide strip on the clip and youre good to go
1639200208371.png

I have two of those filters wel the Eden branded ones. Never had one leaking. Had a lot of problems with the oase biomaster though.
was the biomaster leaking ? Its shocking to me how these units are not tested before being shipped, everything seems in order, no chipped piece, gaskets all ok, until you add water ...

rBose, adding teflon tape isn't the correct answer.
That gasket is not compressed by the clamps so the tape will just float around. The gasket is working similar with the gaskets on the Classic or Ecco from Eheim. What you have is a misplaced gasket (probably twisted). What you need to do is to remove the gasket form the head (use a plastic card to pry it out in order not to pinch it), grease it well as adviced before and place it back in the correct orientation.
That should solve your problem.

Take it back to the shop?
Yes! And I wouldn't stop there. This is totally unacceptable for a brand new product. Oase need to be made aware of the problem. I'd send them an email with a copy to the retailer/shop from which @rBose bought it. I'm a great believer in getting things down in writing so that all concerned parties know what's going on. And can't say (within reason) that they were unaware of the problem the OP is experiencing.

JPC

rBose, adding teflon tape isn't the correct answer.
That gasket is not compressed by the clamps so the tape will just float around. The gasket is working similar with the gaskets on the Classic or Ecco from Eheim. What you have is a misplaced gasket (probably twisted). What you need to do is to remove the gasket form the head (use a plastic card to pry it out in order not to pinch it), grease it well as advised before and place it back in the correct orientation.
That should solve your problem.
I would agree with that above.
Check all round the gasket to see if there is any manufacturing imperfections/residue left on the gasket!
Use a very fine wet/dry decorating paper to clean up the ring up if any, then use grease as an extra precaution.

Yes! And I wouldn't stop there. This is totally unacceptable for a brand new product. Oase need to be made aware of the problem. I'd send them an email with a copy to the retailer/shop from which @rBose bought it. I'm a great believer in getting things down in writing so that all concerned parties know what's going on. And can't say (within reason) that they were unaware of the problem the OP is experiencing.

JPC
Yes!

Ive already contacted them on facebook with a pretty big rant, hope they reply, this is unacceptable as you say!
Its been more than 24 hours now and its not leaking anymore since I added the teflon tape on the clips as described above, but I still dont trust it, how can I be sure it wont leak and pour water all over the house while im at work
If you use grease, make sure it's compatible with the gasket material. The wrong gasket grease can damage the gasket.
Yep, im gonna look for the proper one online
I would agree with that above.
Check all round the gasket to see if there is any manufacturing imperfections/residue left on the gasket!
Use a very fine wet/dry decorating paper to clean up the ring up if any, then use grease as an extra precaution.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the gasket, it is positioned correctly yet it still drips where the clips catch the top part

Ive had similar issues with the smaller version of this filter, which I now have in a small bucket. The leaking tends to stop after a few hours. Still pretty bad!

I think I know what happened.
When you added that matrix, you pressed on it to fit it all in and the bucket deformed just enough to produce the leak.
Next time when you open the filter, take out the matrix and then put it back loosely by dropping, with out pushing on it. If you can't fit it all, don't try to do it. Ensure that your bucket is not stretched by your media.
Then you will see, that the leak will stop.
Keep us updated.

UPDATE
Went back to the shop and returned the Filtosmart 100, funny thing is, there was another one there returned, same issue with water leaking from the same area, same filtosmart 100 model
I ended up upgrading to his bigger brother, filtosmart 200, we tested it and its leak free
263702662_952300385694587_2401151590539435857_n.jpg

UPDATE
Went back to the shop and returned the Filtosmart 100, funny thing is, there was another one there returned, same issue with water leaking from the same area, same filtosmart 100 model
I ended up upgrading to his bigger brother, filtosmart 200, we tested it and its leak free
I checked and mine is a filtosmart100 too, I thought I had a smaller one. Seems an issue with this model or perhaps a faulty batch?

I checked and mine is a filtosmart100 too, I thought I had a smaller one. Seems an issue with this model or perhaps a faulty batch?
The one that was already in the shop, sent back by another customer had exactly the same issue, leaking from the clips, I guess its a faulty batch because this filtosmart 200 is solid

Back