• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Breeding Amano / Yamato shrimp

Result - you seem to have them figured out! Well done and keep us updated please. :)

My tank bred Amano's pics including berried female

20130221204837.jpg

20130221210036.jpg

20130221210026.jpg

I really haven't got my amanos sussed in my main tank. Admittedly I'm making zero effort to breed them, but the females seem to be permanently berried - I never see them lose the eggs or anything, it seems to be a fixed stated, same in both my tanks actually!

I really haven't got my amanos sussed in my main tank. Admittedly I'm making zero effort to breed them, but the females seem to be permanently berried - I never see them lose the eggs or anything, it seems to be a fixed stated, same in both my tanks actually!

this is because Richard has taken the correct steps by introducing the females to increased salinity over a period of time. Amanos need brackish water to breed successfully.

Looking really nice Richard. Congratulations! You ready to do the whole process again?! :lol:

this is because Richard has taken the correct steps by introducing the females to increased salinity over a period of time. Amanos need brackish water to breed successfully.

Looking really nice Richard. Congratulations! You ready to do the whole process again?! :lol:

Yeah.. i think I have to... don’t you?

I'm sorry that this is an old thread, but I absolutely had to register to specifically say you DO NOT under any circumstances put adult Amano shrimp into saline water. They do not breed in saline, they breed in fresh. The eggs will NOT hatch in salt water either. They must be hatched in fresh, then dumped in saline at a gravity which has always had high yields for me of 1.022

The process is they breed in freshwater streams, drop the eggs in said freshwater streams (where the adult stays), then the eggs hatch in fresh as they make their way to the estuary and it is there they will stay (in brackish water) until they morph into juveniles. Once they have their legs and flippers, they will make their own way back to fresh, otherwise, as with the adults, they will die in salt water.

Back