• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Breeding Tetras

Onoma1

Does anyone know of any useful sites, videos or books on breeding tetras?

I have a few fish which look similar to a black neon and were sold as such but aren't (they have olive green in the body are larger). I was down at T A Aquaculture last week and mentioned this to them and was told that they had a few of these in themselves a few months back. They weren't sure what they were and I have given up on trying to identify them.

I am, however, determined to have a go at breeding them and want to get as much knowledge as I can before I start.

I have watched Mark's Aquatics videos and they are really helpful... not sure where else to look!

Does anyone know of any useful sites, videos or books on breeding tetras?

I have a few fish which look similar to a black neon and were sold as such but aren't (they have olive green in the body are larger). I was down at T A Aquaculture last week and mentioned this to them and was told that they had a few of these in themselves a few months back. They weren't sure what they were and I have given up on trying to identify them.

I am, however, determined to have a go at breeding them and want to get as much knowledge as I can before I start.

I have watched Mark's Aquatics videos and they are really helpful... not sure where else to look!
Can you put a picture up? We might be able to work out what they are.

John Rundle used to have regular articles in Practical Fishkeeping, worth checking his books out, Well known fish breeder

It’s been fairly easy for me; you need two tanks, relatively warm water and a good amount of leaf litter.

Tetras (neon/black) spawn easy - acidic tank, 25/6c lots of leaf litter, feed live foods every day. They’ll start to spawn, once they have spawned move parents out. Once you’ve picked out pairs you can move them into smaller tanks to breed, then move the parents back.

Good luck

Hi all,

I'd try approaching Ste Chesters at <"Premier Aquatics"> he is phenomenally good at breeding fish and has worked a lot with Pencil fish. He might be interested in any off-spring you have as well.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Many thanks for the advice. It is very much appreciated. This is a picture of one of the fish. It is about three years old. I have five of them that stick together. I am not by any stretch of the imagination an expert a fish identification) but this doesn't look like a black neon.

Attachments

• 20240207_183648.jpg
    20240207_183648.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 47
All good advice above. In my experience using Marks Aquatics as the basis of your preparations (fish conditioning, water conditions, low ph, removing adults after they spawn, etc) will be a very good start. Tetras tend to spawn in a very similar fashion, some spawn in the morning when lights switched on, some in the evening as light dims. Very very important factor with tetras is always need a week or so with no light on the tank after spawning has taken place (even ambient light from the room needs to be minimised if possible). Feed tank with infusoria even if you can’t see the fry to begin with - they are so small it will be a few days before you spot them even though they hatch after about 48hrs

Back