• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Brine shrimp that don't hatch

idris

Each time I've hatched some brine shrimp there seem to have been a relatively high proportion of eggs that didn't hatch.

1) Is this normal?
2) I've read that some Killifish eggs will go through more than one wet / dry / wet cycle before hatching. Dies the same apply to Brine Shrimp and if so how should I dry out the un hatched eggs before rewetting them?

To the best of my knowledge, Artemia eggs can be stored wrong or too long, before sold. I breed Angelfish (in large scale, years ago!), and this happened to me quite often, untill I found a direct supplier, sending me large, freshly dried quantities. Those had close to 100% hatching. I don't think the unhatched eggs can be saved, since they're most likely dead.
Mick.

Hi all,
Thanks. I'd understood they could last for decades, but maybe that's just a myth.
They last almost eternally, as long as they are entirely dry. A lot of people store them in a sealed tin in the freezer or fridge, and just take a small batch out at a time to hatch.

"TA aquaculture" have good quality eggs and information on their web site <TA-Aquaculture> & <BS_Troubleshooter>.

cheers Darrel

Back