• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

British River Biotope

Thanks Darrel.. :)

Utricularia is doing well.
The UG is going totaly crazy, :) took a few months to establish, it's everywhere growing up and down, it's creeping down now against the wood. And it all did this starting with a few floating leftovers commin lose from the substrate ending tangled up in the moss.. At the other side of the tank there is 10 x as much. Eventualy i did put it in the substrate but kept dying on me. Now i take what grows by itself submersed from above and only what has fully developed bladders and put that in the substrate and also there it keeps going now, finaly.

I come to think the difficulties with UG are not in the substrate type, it is in the water it needs to get used to that and needs time to develop bladders for food supply. Young UG maybe doesn't like to do that in the substrate, it likes flow around it's roots.. :)

UG defenitely likes flow around it - I had exactly same expetience as you, some years ago.
UG-parts landed on an "algae-ball" and litteraly exploded in growth. I then tried to put a little into some moss on a piece of wood; same explotion of growth......
.(- sorry to go off topic )

That probably UGs secret, wait till it grow bladders, than put it in the substrate and it keeps exploding also there. Funny is, probably still something in my tank not going realy well. But in the substrate it gets far less light but more susceptible to algea. Growth is definitely slowed down if it gets no root flow. But if it has bladders and thus food it will keep going.. :)

My little experiment was an absolute failure from a plants standpoint. The whole lot melted and died off. Perhaps a quick temperature change issue having bought them indoors from the winter weather.

But oh well, it was worth a try.

I may try again in the summer with pond plants instead of wild

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear that.. :( but worth to try again.. :) With collecting plants from the wild it's tricky determing wath it excactly is. Many plants in our creeks and ponds are annual or might need dormancy like our native utricularias. The shock in temperature i don't think is so much of a deal if the plant is perennial. It might be more just the transplant shock into different soil or water parameters killing them off.

Few weeks back i took some Potamogeton natans out of the pond after cracking some ice to get to it, it still was green. Did put it inside with the goldfish and it happily grows on. Also got a piece of it in a small aquarium.. We have several indigious pond weeds, which you'll find in pondshops. I've also seen Sagittaria in the pondshop, didn't look close enough to see if it was one of the european sp. :)

Back