• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Broken Bucephalandra through post.

Neocaridina

Seedling
Hello everyone. Just canvassing advice regarding some Bucephalandra I bought which was delivered by post. I believe it is the Kedagang variety. It was growing on a small stone about 3x3 cm. On receipt, there were three parts to what was originally one. A stone with sbout 3cm of rhizome and two stalks each with one growing tip, about 3cm long. One of the stalks has a small white root. As this plant wasn’t exactly cheap and not easily sourced (I am in Australia), I was hoping to keep at least one bit alive.
What do you recommend? Plant the broken stalks in substrate (Amazonia)? Leave the stalks floating up near the surface? In subdued light? Or brightest light? Glue to hardscape?
How about the stone with the bare little rhizome?

I would recommend keeping bucephalandra near substrate and don’t bury its rhizome into substrate. You will have more chance of success, if you tight buce with rocks and nurse it under adequate lighting and co2.
My experience with tucking or glueing buce into wood often comes with failure. It seems to grow at the first few months (more roots, leaves), and then gradually rots and complete dies.

If it is the 'Kedagang' variety, it is actually a pretty tough little Bas....
That variety is very, very good at (re)esablishing itself from even very small bits or plants in poor health (ex. some fungal contamination) On top of that, it willingly grow branches once established. It will grow nicely with or without added CO2.
It really is one of the best (=adaptable and easy to keep) Bucephalandra. A very good choise.
- as for securing survival and establishing of what you have now got:
The rock and bare rhizome should be placed on (ON, not IN) the substrate in a well lit place with good flow and fair amount of ferts in water-column.
The small bits (asuming these include a bit of rhizome) should be gently tied to little piece of rock (or sinking wood) and treated like first one. I too have had bad experiences with gluing Buceph. - so I can't honestly recommend that.
Hope you will success, this way - it is a gorgeous little plant.

you don't have to glue plants..
I think its the chemicals in the glue plants may absorb toxins.. not really natural..
wedge or tye them..
I think the glueing is from the marine side of things could be wrong.. you can also place the rhizome in a probigator laying on aquasoil and mist to achieve very high humidity.you have to air them everyday for 20mins(lift the lid)watch them grow..

Back