• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Brown algae

srm1973

Hi,

Got a question about brown algae, lightly planted my tank about about 6 weeks ago and then added more plants about 3 weeks ago. The plants have shown a bit of growth but are covered in brown algae which looks terrible. I added a young bristlenose plec last week and he's done a great job cleaning my amazon swords, I understand brown algae/diatoms will die off eventually but does it then come off the plants? Or will I be left with plants covered in dead brown algae? Thanks

Hi
Brown diatoms are a sign of a new set-up maturing they will eventually disappear with some regular maintenance.
You can gently use a small long bristled paint brush to remove most of the diatoms from the larger leaves.
Gravel clean and do small water changes 10% every few days...lowering your lighting period will help.

You need to give more information on your set-up...so your questions can be answered.
Size
Lighting
Filtration
Fertilization
Co2 dosing
Cleaning/Maintenance routines
Cheers
hoggie

Size - 220l
Lighting - 2x30w t8 8hrs a day
Filtration - biopro filter, 1200lph
Fertilization - none