• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Browning plants with no growth

Westyggx

Hi all,

After a lengthy spell away from the hobby I recently bought the necessary equipment to start a planted tank again. I'm having a bit of an issue with BBA, which I'm spot dosing daily and just purchased two SAE.

But my main issue is the plants I have are not thriving, they are browning off and do not seem to grow.

The flow in the tank is high and co2 reaches the substrate all round the tank. Drop checker lime green on lights on.

The light is a Chihiros a series plus on for 6 hours using the 3rd setting , co2 comes on 2 hours prior and off 1 hour before.

I had previously dosed tropica premium but moved to EI two weeks ago dosing 50ml of micro and macro (tank size 250ltr) with 50% water changes weeekly

I'd appreciate some sound advise please. Cheers

9312cba6b03ba23e022d1ee95e5fa2db.jpg

118b20b76d89a749642440257f2d83bb.jpg

0b30d69b7cf78ac362e11926bdfd1d8e.jpg

c2fee0ab6e538900197cc8b8f0130e4e.jpg

6fcb6f47033da1ea084df3d057d7e3dd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi,
I'm not an expert but I had browning of a type of hygrophila a while back and it was caused by excess phosphates so I then swapped fertiliser without nitrates and phosphates and I just add my own every few days in small amounts I could be wrong though unless you have a test kit which can test for phosphates (I used API test kit as recommend by LFS when I asked them about browning of aquatic plants and it turned out I had way more than needed)
Hope anything said may help! Luke.

Water temp?

In my opinion, flow has very, very little to do with good plant growth. Most people seem to think you need an ocean. You don't.

If you have an excess of full macro/micro fert I doubt that is the issue.

Are the plants acclimatised to submerged growth before you planted? If they are from the shop, they're likely emersed grown and will melt. With melt, you're now aiding your current BBA issue.

I'd crank up the co2 until you see yellow and spend that day checking the fish.

Your BBA is common in a new tank with such low plant density.

Hi,
I'm not an expert but I had browning of a type of hygrophila a while back and it was caused by excess phosphates so I then swapped fertiliser without nitrates and phosphates and I just add my own every few days in small amounts I could be wrong though unless you have a test kit which can test for phosphates (I used API test kit as recommend by LFS when I asked them about browning of aquatic plants and it turned out I had way more than needed)
Hope anything said may help! Luke.

Thanks Luke, my phosphates are coming out as 1.8 which is really high to be fair.

Water temp?

In my opinion, flow has very, very little to do with good plant growth. Most people seem to think you need an ocean. You don't.

If you have an excess of full macro/micro fert I doubt that is the issue.

Are the plants acclimatised to submerged growth before you planted? If they are from the shop, they're likely emersed grown and will melt. With melt, you're now aiding your current BBA issue.

I'd crank up the co2 until you see yellow and spend that day checking the fish.

Your BBA is common in a new tank with such low plant density.

Hi,

The water temp is 23c, yes i bought them off Hogan from the forum.

The BBA has been in the tank for years, in a low tech environment. I'll crank up the co2 a bit more and see where we get to.

Thanks,

Back