• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Bubble count keeps changing

Saman

I had a suspicion that the bubble count was changing - without me touching the dial - which has just been confirmed today when the bubble count dropped to less than a second. It's a new bottle of Co2 so not a problem there and nothing else seems amiss on the regulator. I've turned it back up but clearly something isn't right and it's not sustainable checking it all the time. Does anyone know what might be going on here?

Just an update, I’d say within a few minutes the bubbles decrease to v low so it’s pretty bad now. I’ll call the manufacturer on Monday but it would great to get some insight in the meantime.

Same here however mine increases every hour or so. I have dual stage regulator with 1 gauge. It's like pressure builds up while valve is closed then slowly releases it. I've only experienced it with this regulator.
efac94c23bcb0da0d8cae8f5d9eef6d2.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

@GHNelson I have checked for leaks - but I used neat fairy liquid on the regulator. I was wondering if I should put some water in to dilute it as it’s quite heavy neat. Going to try that today and paint it over.

A leak doesn’t make sense tho - why would it suddenly get worse? I haven’t changed anything. As of yesterday evening the co2 has pretty much stopped passing through bubble counter. I’m having a panic as my tank is densely planted with EI dosing. I already have an algae bloom from a recent co2 issue - the washer went when I swapped bottles. I’d say the bubble counter issue started after I changed the bottles over actually. I finally got it all working with the new washer and then the next day I noticed no bubbles. I solved it by opening the canister fully (didn’t realise it wasn’t) but the bubble counter was never completely stable - I’d often find it either too fast or too slow. But now it just fizzles out and I have to turn the needle valve back up every few minutes. Is it better to just leave it all off for now whilst I figure it out? Someone suggested I drop my fertiliser by half too. Never had a problem with this regulator before - although I’ve had it less than a year…

Be to great to know if there’s anything else - aside from hunting for a leak - I should try and do before calling co2 art tomorrow. I’m not very technical - in fact not at all - so this is not in my comfort zone. Thanks so much

I was wondering if I should put some water in to dilute it as it’s quite heavy neat. Going to try that today and paint it over.

Yes, use diluted washing up liquid!
What diffuser are you using?
Does the working pressure dial move?
What you could try is, increase the working pressure to 3 bar!
Then open the needle valve till you have a good stream of bubbles in the counter then reduce to the required bubble rate!
hoggie

Thank you - I’ll wipe it down and use diluted. It’s co2 art pro se. Working pressure is 30 ppi - what would 3 bar look like? Turning the needle valve and getting a good stream is not a problem - it just doesn’t stay and fizzles out. So I know the gas is going in fine - it’s just not staying…

Thank you - I’ll wipe it down and use diluted. It’s co2 art pro se. Working pressure is 30 ppi - what would 3 bar look like? Turning the needle valve and getting a good stream is not a problem - it just doesn’t stay and fizzles out. So I know the gas is going in fine - it’s just not staying…
30 ppi = about 2 bar!
What diffuser are you using?

Here’s the set-up

Attachments

• A0D8892E-A2D1-42DA-9740-8E27E93C60CD.jpeg
    A0D8892E-A2D1-42DA-9740-8E27E93C60CD.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 110
Ok I’ll move the ppi up and check for leaks and report back. Thanks so much for your help.

I’ve sprayed soapy water over all connections and no bubbles. Right now the bubble counter is working - but I’ll see what happens over the day. Hopefully the adjustment to the ppi is the answer

Good stuff!
If you add a check valve just before the in-line diffuser this will help stop water running into the Co2 tubing plus it helps to keep the pressure up in the in-line diffuser!

I’ll get one - thank you - was wondering about that. After 5 mins bubbles still okay. Thanks again for taking the time to help me - especially on a Sunday morning!

Pleased to report the bubbles have been consistent today, hopefully they will stay that way. Thanks again @GHNelson!

Back