• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Bug hunt

Mr. Teapot

Can anyone identify this little guy? He's really fast moving and looks like he swims up out of the substrate along the glass only to whizz back down again. Looks like free fish food, but I'm rather intrigued to find out who my micro squatter is before any fish move in. Sorry for the low resolution of the image but it was as close as the camera could focus.
8910391276_f11490e72f_c_d.jpg

And "he" is a she. :)

I'm really enjoying finding out all sorts about the smaller animals who can make their home in our tanks... and I now know you can clearly see two egg pouches being carried by my cyclops. I was actually quite amazed at how much micro-fauna is starting to live in my little tank. Noticed some planarian on the glass last night. I really love how in the space of few weeks, all sorts of unexpected life is finding a foothold. It's going to be interesting next month when I add some shrimps, what happens to my little pets.

Bug hunt part 2

Captured this morning… anyone know what it is and how to look after him outside my tank if I decide to keep him? Is he OK to release down the river or is he non-native?

Cheers.

14218163552_68d61be18d_c_d.jpg

14033928380_3cd266b801_c_d.jpg

Hi Edvet, I think you're right - the gill like structure at the back, which looks like it's lost two of the three others. The little guy has probably been snacking on my shrimplets. Google says he's reaching maturity as his wings are starting to visibly develop - what do you think, let him grow back in my tank and have a few more cherries, or let him go in the river?

Oh no! I've seen a second one in there. How many of these lavae are there? My house is going to full of damselflies.... Hmmm, that may actually be quite cool.

Does anyone know if my shrimp population will be destroyed if I leave it in there?

Could you put a tub of water in your garden or yard? Put a bunch of Elodea in, and either some kind of emergent plant, or a stick or cane that your damselfly nymphs can climb up when it's time to fly away. You will soon find lots of interesting pond life arrives.

I reckon once they get big enough they will decimate anything they can get their claws on. If I were a damsel fly and I knew that I was only going to get one day with a set of wings to do the business, then I would want my wings to be a 'really' good set and eat accordingly!

Let the midges suffer, save your shrimp!

How on earth do these things get in my tank... pretty amazing how all this extra life finds its way inside our homes.

He's going to be rehoused today!
14131728167_30571b578c_c_d.jpg

That ugly bugger is planaria and where there is one there is likely others, advise removing especially if planning on keeping shrimp.

Thanks Matt, I'll look into the worming treatment. Just been reading google about ramshorn and bladder snails eating them. Anybody have experience of how effective they are? Any other natural predators I could introduce?

Back