• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Building extension - what to do for fish tank?

Halley

Hi All, I’m building a single storey extension to my 3 bed semi-d house. What should I put in regarding plumbing for a fish tank? I was going to put a little sink near a side wall in order to fill/drain a tank beside it. Anybody any suggestions in regards what I should ask the builder to do in order to facilitate a fish tank?

I don't know how serious you want to get into this (!), but above what you say about the handy sink nearby, there is some food for thought.
  • Plenty of electricity sockets, preferably with surge protection and some form of UPS, to address any small power cuts. (There are issues with power sockets being near water, so check with the builder).
  • A Reverse Osmosis unit can help remove impurities from the water. This can be plumbed in while you build and contribute to the 'blank canvas' of water chemistry. It can also help with auto-top-offs, etc.
  • Solid and very even flooring where the fish tank is, will also allow for any upgrades to larger and heavier tanks!

When I set up my new tank, I plumbed it in, so i didn’t have to carry water through the house, I ran power and multicore cable (for water change it’s not fully automated as I just don’t 100% trust any level sensors that I have seen, waste to a tank in loft feeds toilet cistern, and when it warms up a bit, I will finish adding an extension to allow filling watering cans in garden), i insulated the back of the tank with 25mm polystyrene (it’s easy to do before it’s installed)

Last edited:
Take a look at this

@Ady34 might be worth contacting for advice if you’re thinking of having dedicated plumbing.

Post in thread 'Re-education.....'
Re-education.....

I would ensure there is a hot and cold water supply and a drain accessible very close to (or within the cabinet of) the tank. Many sockets near or under. Good, solid level floor.

I would also have an electrical supply at high level for lighting so I could suspend my lights without visible cables running down.

If possible, a window or two to let in either early morning or evening sunlight. You can't beat natural light for bringing out the very best in fish colouration, at least in my opinion it's worth any algae growth associated with excess light.

Back