• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Buying: TGM 'exceptional value' vs regular

A

Antipofish

Hi there, I am about to make an order for my plants for my first aquarium. It looks like I will need quite a few so I am wondering, on the TGM website they have an 'exceptional value' range. What is the difference between these and the more expensive ones ? Are they not as good quality, or do you get fewer stems or plants per pot ? I am trying to work out why they have "cheap" plants and "expensive" plants. Cheers

George Farmer said:
Hi Chris

Have you asked TGM? Maybe post in their own sponsor's forum. They're probably the most informed about the differences.

Also consider phoning or emailing, as they're not so active on UKAPS these days.

Cheers,
George

Sensible idea :) Didnt realise they had their own forum, still gotta find all the nooks and crannies on here, hehe. Tried calling them today, and the lazy burgers don't work Mondays !! I hate Mondays and have to work, but Noooooo, THEY don't. LOL. I will give Gaz a buzz tomorrow. What did you think about my scape btw ? Its done now and even got water in there ! :)

Each of our sponsors has their own sub forum where they can advertise their latest deals, have discussions etc.

Forum rules mean they cannot post outside their own forum, so any discussion involving a sponsor or one of their products is recommend in their forum, so the sponsor is free to have a right of reply.

Had 10 pots of HC from their value range and found it excellent. Slightly smaller portion than a tropica pot but a fraction of the price.

Markmark said:
Had 10 pots of HC from their value range and found it excellent. Slightly smaller portion than a tropica pot but a fraction of the price.

Thanks MM. I spoke to Gaz up at TGM yesterday and he basically said they are damn good plants, just sold as value range. Not all plants are therefore available in that range, but the ones that are, are very good. I now just need to decide what I want...

George Farmer said:
Each of our sponsors has their own sub forum where they can advertise their latest deals, have discussions etc.

Forum rules mean they cannot post outside their own forum, so any discussion involving a sponsor or one of their products is recommend in their forum, so the sponsor is free to have a right of reply.

It seems a shame some of the most knowledgeable & experienced folk cant post on the main pages of the forum!
I received a pm from one of the sponsors stating that very fact - he wanted to comment on one of my post but said he was not allowed to post on the forum outside of his sub forum, I must say I was surprised :?

foxfish said:
George Farmer said:

It seems a shame some of the most knowledgeable & experienced folk cant post on the main pages of the forum!
I received a pm from one of the sponsors stating that very fact - he wanted to comment on one of my post but said he was not allowed to post on the forum outside of his sub forum, I must say I was surprised :?

I can understand where you are coming from with this, but I have to say, I agree with George on this policy. It might not happen on here, but if sponsors were allowed to comment on each and every section and thread then it would allow the possibility of them just using that to promote their products and services. Where a retailer tends to prefer one product or another this would lead to bias (though not necessarily incorrect information). I think it is healthy for our forums to prevent this, and allow for hobbyist discussion without input that might be more linked to sales.

I have seen it on other forums where arguments between sponsors break out on general member threads, and it happened more than you might imagine.

I was wrong to post this thread in the general forum, but I was not aware there were private sponsor forums as I have still not had the opportunity to fully explore this great site yet.

Antipofish said:
foxfish said:
George Farmer said:

I can understand where you are coming from with this, but I have to say, I agree with George on this policy. It might not happen on here, but if sponsors were allowed to comment on each and every section and thread then it would allow the possibility of them just using that to promote their products and services. Where a retailer tends to prefer one product or another this would lead to bias (though not necessarily incorrect information). I think it is healthy for our forums to prevent this, and allow for hobbyist discussion without input that might be more linked to sales.

I have seen it on other forums where arguments between sponsors break out on general member threads, and it happened more than you might imagine.

I was wrong to post this thread in the general forum, but I was not aware there were private sponsor forums as I have still not had the opportunity to fully explore this great site yet.
Hi guys,

Good points raised, thanks.

For a good while there was no restriction on Sponsors' posting, but the boundaries between hobby and business became blurred, at the detriment to the overall integrity of the forum. A clear line had to be drawn, unfortunately.

However, the UKAPS Rules and Guidelines do make it clear that UKAPS Sponsors are recognised for their wealth of experience and are encouraged to post in an appropriate manner by using a pseudonmyn if they wish. After all, most sponsors are also keen hobbyists.

Cheers,
George

George Farmer said:
Good points raised, thanks.

For a good while there was no restriction on Sponsors' posting, but the boundaries between hobby and business became blurred, at the detriment to the overall integrity of the forum. A clear line had to be drawn, unfortunately.

However, the UKAPS Rules and Guidelines do make it clear that UKAPS Sponsors are recognised for their wealth of experience and are encouraged to post in an appropriate manner by using a pseudonmyn if they wish. After all, most sponsors are also keen hobbyists.

Cheers,
George

Sounds fair enough :) I have found the advice from TGM when speaking with them directly, to be genuine and not sales directed, which always endears me to a supplier :thumbup:

Back