• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cabo Verde - Low tech with Heather bogwood

ghostsword

I received a couple of weeks ago some amazing dead heather bogwood from Darrel.
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=16292&p=168770#p168770

The wood is so amazing, perfect for nanos, and as I had a empty 8L acrylic tank I though that it would be perfect for it.

So the specs of the tank are 8L, with a internal filter.

I setup the tank today, with some white sand I had, two pieces of dragon stone, and the heather wood.

The plants are narrow leaf fern, a really small fern I got from Eddis, some java moss, pelia and two petite anubias that I had on the garden.

CO2 I am planning either a nano bottle from TMC or easy carbo, light is just room light, plust three hours in the evening.

I dont think that any critters on it will be happy on such a small tank , maybe daphnia, the tank is too small for anything fancy.

Still a work in progress, but here are the first pictures today, taken with an iphone:
5885441875_1d58132f2b.jpg
Untitled by GHOSTSWORD, on Flickr

Hi,... :) That's looking very natural.

Please don't get me wrong,...it's just that looking at your tank sort of gave me an idea,... would you think a lighter background with some vallis as background plants in there might work ?

Maybe ,...some black colored rocks with strong character strewn around the wood? (Bumped this one off from Flygja :D )

I'm still in my "diaper stage" of aquascaping,.... :oops: but just my less than 2 cents worth of advice there.

Thanks.

:)

The tank is a 8l vallis would be too big, also I have almost no substrate, maybe less than a 2cm of it, couldn't plant much in it.

The background I cannot change, at the back is the filter.

Could possibly get an acrylic sheet and placed it at the back, it would show the wood better, this was why I used dragon stone, much lighter.

I would like for the ferns to grow on the back, so that I have a look similar to a deserted island with white sand, which was how the Portuguese found Cabo Verde.

The hard bit would be to keep the sand clean, but as I do not have any fish or shrimp on it should be ok.

May get a nerite just for it, will see today at the shop if they got some small ones.

re: critters.

i have my 10L dennerle running low tech and couldnt get it looking good until i chucked in a couple of small nerite snails. they have it sparkling. all it needed was something to hoover up the diatoms.

Back