• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cal Aqua double checker

I've removed the drop checker from my tank and instead rely on the rummy nose tetra in there :)

If his head loses the colouring CO2 is too high. If its still nice and red and no pearling then its too low. If its red and there's plenty of pearling I class it spot on.

Seems to be working for me at least no algae and massive amounts of growth :)

hogan53 said:
Hi Antipofish
This is a personal observation for me...and i don't think its meaningless basis.. i will not pump Co2 into a tank to achieve a .. Lime Green drop checker...for the sake of better plant growth....if you have certain fish that get stressed with a higher Co2 concentration...are you going to continue pumping Co2 into a aquarium?
I have observed fish being stressed due to higher Co2 levels..... the checker is Lime green.
As you touched on all aquariums are unique...no two are the same....there is a whole load of factors that come into it.Lighting/O2/Water movement/Stocking levels etc...even the species of fish.
I bet you that members have gassed fish or shrimp trying to achieve a Lime Green Drop checker....be it through inexperience or trying to calculate how much the Co2 should be run for.
Even experienced aquarists have came unstuck.
I have never heard of anyone gassing their fish/shrimp when the Drop checker is Green have you :?:
We all know a drop checker is not accurate when it comes to Co2 levels its a visual guide only in one area of the tank.
I have grown healthy plants without pumping vast amounts of Co2 into the aquarium..using one 24 watt T5 bulb...drop checker Green fish are happy what does that tell you.
If you pumped Co2 into a aquarium without a drop checker and your fish where at the top of the surface gasping for Oxygen..would that not influence you to cut back on the Co2..or would you put your plants first. :?:
Its my personal choice i wasn't trying to ride rough shod over anyone.
And no this is not a exact Science...we will learn by our mistakes. :(
Have a niceday :thumbup:
hoggie

You seem to have taken offence at my post, and that was not my intention. But you have even agreed with me above by acknowledging that each tank is individual and that other factors come into play.. I quote "Lighting/O2/Water movement/Stocking levels etc...even the species of fish". You did not say this in your original post you simply said that a lime green drop checker if you had fish in the tank was a no no. That in itself, without the qualification that we have both commented on after your post now, is meaningless. It would even mislead new aquarists to thinking that it was not correct or feasible to achieve a lime green colour if they had fish in the tank. Again, this is completely incorrect and as you have rightly agreed, a completely tank specific matter. Its best to avoid generalisations without clarity :thumbup:

Have a nice day ? In this poxy weather ? :twisted: :lol: Some chance.

I havent taken offence :lol:
You seem to think that i am forcing some sort of rhetoric..on the members here.
I quoted it was personal to me that i don't run a drop checker to Lime Green.
You quoted (It would even mislead new aquarists to thinking that it was not correct or feasible to achieve a lime green colour if they had fish in the tank)
Of course they can...but they better be wary.
Whats misleading about trying to advise them that they could end up gassing their inhabitants.
I'm gonna leave it at that :wave:
hoggie

hogan53 said:
I havent taken offence :lol:
You seem to think that i am forcing some sort of rhetoric..on the members here.
I quoted it was personal to me that i don't run a drop checker to Lime Green.
You quoted (It would even mislead new aquarists to thinking that it was not correct or feasible to achieve a lime green colour if they had fish in the tank)
Of course they can...but they better be wary.
Whats misleading about trying to advise them that they could end up gassing their inhabitants.
I'm gonna leave it at that :wave:
hoggie

All good. Fish welfare, as relating to CO2 has always been a contentious issue, especially as there are so many other ways we can kill 'em. CO2 is just one. And I agree its one that should come with a warning. But not one that simply says what you said. :wave: But I accept that its your choice. I prefer to take more factors into account. :thumbup:

Back