• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

california dreaming - nano 30l

california dreaming

I have at the moment ten galaxy rosbora...trouble is I never see them coz they are so shy. Can I add more? Would say 6 harliquins be ok or something else? Actually totally open to sugestion...
I am planning on adding crs so nothing that can munch them up:)

Re: california dreaming

Ive been looking at the tank and didn't like the erectus, it looked shabby at the bottom. So in a state of madness i ordered to pot of hairgrass. So today I've been giggling things around a little at the back. I think it looks ok.

Still struggling with hair algae on the hc and its looking pretty sorry for its self. Riccia rocks seem to be taking off but again hair algae is invading.
img2912.jpg

still love the rock layout ;) .

if you've got no livestock in there i'd crank up the co2 a bit more.
maybe move the DC down a bit and see how it goes.

california dreaming

Cheers nelson, my planting is pants but suppose comes with experance. I'll move the dc down a little and see how it goes, I'll aim for yellow. I've just upped co2 as suggested and think it may help a little. I'm dosing excel as well but have to be careful as I have ten galaxy rosbora in there. What shrimp do u have that control ur hair algae ?

california dreaming

Hi nealon forgot to ask... What's the secert to tall hairgrass In ur nano tank?. I think if I got that height in mine it would help a lot?

oh right,i remember the hiding CPD's now.just be careful upping the co2 then.

not sure but i think amano's eat hair algae if they're hungry enough.i might be wrong though.

Mrmikey said:
Hi nealon forgot to ask... What's the secert to tall hairgrass In ur nano tank?. I think if I got that height in mine it would help a lot?
don't know :? .
you should trim it to about an inch when planting ;) .

california dreaming

nelson said:
Mrmikey said:
don't know :? .
you should trim it to about an inch when planting ;) .
How come nelson , will this encourage more growth? Have u every found that once u prune it, it starts to curl over and goes brown at the tips?i thought u had dome shrimp in yours:( my mistake. Basil ( member ) has 15 crs shrimp for me, but don't think they eat hair algae. I may get some cherry or ghost shrimp after a bit of google.

Mrmikey said:
How come nelson , will this encourage more growth? Have u every found that once u prune it, it starts to curl over and goes brown at the tips?.
it will encourage more growth.what you have now will probably die back anyway.

heres a quote from George,
I don't prune it back until it's planted as I find it easier this way. Some prefer to prune before planting.
4809323699_cd652aef2b_b.jpg

and
by saintly » Sat May 22, 2010 8:26 am

murph wrote:
With regards to the hairgrass I have planted, should I trim it back immediately to 1cm above the substrate ?.

yes.
saintly

To elaborate, Hair grass often comes in an above water state. Now some of the grass will survive, but most will turn brown if left alone. trim it down to the substrate, to encourage growth, and to ensure that any growth that comes though is underwater state.

After a few weeks of growth, trim it again. I've also found that trimming will 'halt' it's spread to some degree, so it's a little easier to contain.

cheers Mark ;) .i can't get my brain to work properly this morning :lol: .

Amazing thanks for the help as usual nelson and saintly. Maybe i should have done it before i put it in as its all at the back and my 20cm scissors are hard to maneuver. I think Im going to add a couple of shrimp today, this may help with my algae around the tank.

Cant wait for my 15 crs now, i think the tank is lacking in live stock....or ones you can actually see!

I woke up this morning after upping co2 and fish seem ok, which is a good sign. May up it a tad-more.

Well, I have trimmed the hair grass right back... my curved scissors off ebay are crap, may have to re-think them. You pay peanuts, you get monkeys right! Anyway looks ok I did this 2 days ago and some bits have already started to grow.

I've been a bit bad and put my a couple of my cherry and Amano shrimp in to help with hair-algae and other bits of maintenance. Good news is after 2 days they are not dead and seem fine. This has really helped my HC which is now starting to take. Still needs a few gaps filling though. As for my Riccia Balls, one id ok with now algae on it, so ive redone two. I think i tied the cotton too tight when i did it originally.

Also, ive added a blue led back light ( came with an ant farm i had given to me), cant wait for tonight to see what it looks like. I'll take a picture to show you guys.

img2914c.jpg

heres a little update photo, Its not the best but tonight im doing one with the new blue back light. hope it looks good when it goes dark.

Im think of filling out the forground, should i keep the path-way and fill in with more HC or should i make it look like the Riccia is spilling out the middle, making a simi circle and fill around it with HC?
img2936t.jpg

Hi, haven't replied for a while and a few things have changed. I wasn't happy with the balance in the layout (plants), so I've tied Riccia to rocks and moved the odd thing around. I decided against planting the whole forground with HC....for now! I've also opened up the path a bit more like in the begining. I've added my Erectus again it needed something to contrast the red plant. I will be uploading a photo in a coupe of hours.

heres a photo after a bit of jiggling around. Not the best photo and tank looks shabby but you'll get the jist. Still waiting for the riccia to take off then i will have a better idea of where to go from here.
img2963o.jpg

thats looking a lot better with the path :thumbup: .also now the plants are filling in :D .

cheers nelson, yeah i think it looks better as well. Should leave it as it is or smash up little bits of the fossil wood rock and fill it in with that? grading it from bigger bits to smaller bits at the front? what do you think?

Back