• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Calling UP inline atomizer users

Sacha

I am after some help regarding the UP inline atomizer (old style one). This is the one I have:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_TzITsl7rB8c/TSGlymYhsTI/AAAAAAAABvQ/q3Nvv3Q_2Xg/s400/P1070104.jpg

The problem is that I have loads of micro bubbles coming through the spray bar.

I have heard that these are a bit hit and miss. Sometimes you get a nice very fine mist (just like the GLA ones), sometimes you get micro bubbles, like my one.

I have cleaned it with bleach several times.

Should I buy a new one? Or will I just have the same problem again?

I don't want to switch to a reactor- except for maybe the Sera Flore reactor 500

Hi Sacha, My same version inline worked much better (fine mist) when I raised the working pressure above 3bar. At lower pressure it produced tiny bubbles. I think these atomisers are all a bit 'individual' and this may not be the case for yours or anyone else's.

I have the same atomizer, 've had it for 4 years now. I have noticed the same behaviour: sometimes fine mist, sometimes micro-bubbles.
I came to the conclusion that the cause can be either:
- clean atomiser vs dirty atomiser
- low pressure vs high (normal) pressure

so if you are sure you have cleaned it properly (cleaning can be tricky, as there is no acces to the ceramic itself, so what I do is sink it in bleach for several hours), then you can try fiddling with the pressure.
for me, I usually see micro bubbles when the CO2 tank is getting empty. When tank is full, I usually see a fine mist (which annoys me, so actually I prefer micro bubbles :))

good luck.

Thanks both for the replies.

Hmm the pressure is set at just under 4 bar. I am reluctant to fiddle with the pressure, because I spent such a long time achieving the perfect balance of pressure + needle valve adjustment, to get just the right number of bps.

I will try cleaning it one last time, and if that doesn't make it better, I might have to buy a new one, or a Sera Flore reactor.

What is the most effective way to clean this atomizer?

hi, the way I clean it is just soaking it in bleach for 3-4 hrs. it works. just make sure that you use someting to neutralize the bleach afterwards, since rinsing it with water will probably not suffice.
I personally soak it in vinegar after the bleach (vinegar = acid, bleach = base, together they neutralise), but of course any dedicated water conditioner will do.

don't understand why you find it problematic to fiddle with the pressure. What I do is simply mark with a pen, marker etc the exact position of the neddle valve knob, then I turn it around an count how many times I've turned it. If I am not satisfied with the new setting, the marking helps me revert to the initial position.

I am using it for a couple of years now.

In my experience the micro bubbles appear when there is buildup of diatoms(?) on ceramic.
I use a thin toothbrush and dip it into bleach and brush the atomizer from inside. Its 16mm I believe.

I just wish there was a way to open it up, like you can do with the new ones.

I just wish there was a way to open it up, like you can do with the new ones.
Why not buy the two end caps and solution?
Means you can just take it off, fill it up and put cap on to clean.

Ah- thanks. But would that work even considering this diffuser has no direct access to the ceramic?

Ah- thanks. But would that work even considering this diffuser has no direct access to the ceramic?

I see what you mean.
But I was of the understanding that you put a cap on the bottom of the brown plastic tube, fill up to the top and cap the other end.

I'd probably send Karol a PM to
Clarify.

I use this brush(in the picture) dipped in bleach, it fits 12mm diffuser quite snug and works like a charm. I use same for canister pipe as well.

A little correction, I posted toothbrush in my last post by mistake, theres noway any tooth brush can fit into this atomizer.

The brush even works without bleach but have to brush it a few extra times. Usually there is a build up of slime and diatoms inside filter pipes(and the atomizer ceramic) which doesnt necessarily requires bleach or reagent to clean.
The glass diffusers that are used inside the tank usually get some tough algae like GSA so those are somewhat difficult to clean without bleach or reagent.

I do this once every month along with filter cleaning.

10275388_10203969315173316_1868090027409765410_o.jpg

Interesting little thread, I didn't know I should be hoping for 'mist' instead of bubbles. I'll keep an eye on this thread :)

3bar is approx 3kg per cm2 or 45psi so yes its easily possible to generate enough pressure with a syringe
Anyway you can buy the new up inline shipped for £23 at the moment so if your thinking about a cleaning kit for £8/9 just spend the extra £15 and get a diffuser that comes apart then bin the other. Its worth the money for the amount of time it will save you

I saw a comparison of the old and new diffuser and they said the old one performed better...

What would happen if I put two diffusers inline together, in sequence?

I saw a comparison of the old and new diffuser and they said the old one performed better...
Isn't there three
The original, the new and the new 2014
Which ones?
Got a link for the review?
I've got the latest one. Very fine mist, i have to press my nose on the tank to see it. 1.5ph drop, its on the outflow and theres only about 6" of hose, 3 elbows and its into the spray bar
571DFFE1-9807-42BA-A157-38598B858C4E_zps56ttxiyr.jpg

1 bps in a 60l tank and it works brilliantly. Dunno about using 2 in series though. I guess it would be a case of is there enough water flow to carry that much co2. Wouldn't it be better with a larger hose split into 2 smaller hoses and run them side by side

Back