• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Calzone's new 120x60x45 optiwhite tank build

Discovered tonight that my koralia wasn't running..... Whipped it out, nothing obvious - turns out its plugged into a two way socket on a timer with the solenoid. For some reason, no power. Works ok in a different socket. How a two way socket with no electronics can break I simply don't understand....

Anyway, another thing to fix. Getting there.

your not having the best run mate, unexplained things like this must be extra frustrating!

Re: Calzone's 120x60x45 optiwhite tank build

I've noticed a few threads on the forum recently discussing problems getting consistent CO2 with the AM1000 reactor. I confess I am finding the same problems. As you can read in this journal, I had a problem with flow and leaking, which turned out to be due to my small amount of scrunchy getting sucked into the outlet. I removed it and things have been fine since. However, I have found I struggle to get lime green or yellow and the tank is showing signs of inconsistent CO2. I think this is because with the 2180 flow being above the rating for the am1000, the co2 in the reactor occasionally gets blown out before dissolving and I just dont get the concentration up no matter how much more co2 I pump in.

So am now thinking I will put back the scrunchy, but with a small amount of rigid large gap mesh covering the outlet to stop it getting sucked in. the mesh seemed to help hold the co2 bubbles in the reactor until they dissolved.

Tank otherwise doing ok, though carpetting plants definitely look like they are having co2 problems. Anubia is flowering.....

Update with pics:

Here's the latest full tank shot:
img7303o.jpg

End on shot:
img7307v.jpg

All in all the growth has been substantial from the start. I haven't really done enough pruning except the manic stems at the back (largely hygro polysperman and myriophyllum matogrossense). Also, if you look closer you can see that things look a bit less healthy, particularly at the substrate level than they did - legacy of the CO2 problems I've been having.

For example, here's a few older shots showing the HC and tank before the start of my problems:
img7284vs.jpg

img7287c.jpg

img7288d.jpg

And here's a few current close ups, where particularly you can see the glosso is very leggy and yellow, and just doesn't look happy.
img7308y.jpg

img7309w.jpg

Assuming I can get my CO2 improved and flow going better (now have the koralias going more effectively, so think flow improved - now just need to sort out reactor), how to fix the glosso? a BIG trim? do I need to leave leaves on the plants? Do I need to replant?

Here's a close up of the algae (BBA, staghorn) growing on some weeping moss. Shall physically remove then hope that fixing the flow/CO2 will sort out the rest.
img7310hi.jpg

It isn't all bad. Growth on the crypts is great, the anubia is flowering and the araguia looks in good shape.
Hygrophila Araguia
img7311f.jpg

Anubia flower (apologies for the focus, seems the new macro lens autofocus is poor handheld, but manual focusing not great when your eyes are bad like mine either!!)
img7302y.jpg

Anyway, shot of the left hand side, with decent growth on the apo. Crispus red:
img7313ep.jpg

Friendly mummy platy:
img7314v.jpg

Compare to the old shot of the RHS of the tank:
img7262r.jpg

And some fish, waiting on dinner:
img7312b.jpg

Cheers

All in all Nick, I think its going pretty bl**dy well mate! A flowering Anubias. Great stuff :) Re the glosso. If you are willing to take the bull by the horns, I would hazard a guess that chopping it right down would stimulate some good regrowth. I guess you need to ask "If I may end up ripping it out anyway, why not give the plant an ultimatum !?" : grow or burn ! LOL But seriously, from some of the threads on here from the like of Tom and Mark and Spyder et al, the harsher you cut back the stronger the regrowth.

Once am more confident I've addressed what seems to still be problematical Co2, I think I will. But clearly, I don't want to chop through the stems right? And these are mostly an inch above the substrate, so do I just them back into the soil?

Calzone said:
Once am more confident I've addressed what seems to still be problematical Co2, I think I will. But clearly, I don't want to chop through the stems right? And these are mostly an inch above the substrate, so do I just them back into the soil?

Well I am hoping someone else will confirm (or refute) but I would say "down to close to substrate". Don't take my word for it though. I am sure Clive or someone will answer that properly :)

Tweaked up the co2 last night, with the reactor now containing some media to stop the gas getting blown out by the flow, and came home tonight to some pearling in the tank and a nearly yellow drop checker. Fish ok, though I might assert they are moving less than usual, so am probably at or near the max level.will keep it here and see how things go. I may start my co2 30-60mins earlier, and finish earlier also, then give it a week.

I note also that the pearling is mainly at the top, not so much at substrate level. Again, will observe for a while and see if I can draw any conclusions.

Excellent news Nick. hope this is a turning point :) Its only really the CO2 cos the rest of your tank is really pretty awesome IMO

Small update: will follow up with some pics later.
Have mostly cracked the algae problem with stable co2 and patience. Plus frequent 40%water changes. Plus 6 amano shrimp. Plus 2 crossocheilus reticulatus (nice fish).
Also, the stems growth rate is such that they are now shadowing larger areas of the tank which maybe helps with the light/ co2 balance.
My only real problem is getting the glosso to root without spending hours replanting separate strands. That and managing my appetite for more fish. Current stocking 29 cardinals, 5 harlequins, 5 copper 'quins, 2 zebra danios, 6 Otos, 4 platies plus about 10 babies, 1 starlight ancistrus, 2 crossocheilus reticulatus 6 amanos, and about 50 RCS. Sounds a lot, but doesn't look it and the fish look v heathy and happy (tank is hugely overfiltered).

Maintenance on the other hand is time consuming. But worth it.

Aponogeton crispus red - does this flower? Mine appears to have sprouted a 1cm thick stem which is growing at 3 inches per day... Expect this will turn into a flower. The Anubias have two flowers now. But contrast, the Vesuvius never made it, and the crossocheilus have more or less eaten the rotala wallichi and pogostemon erectus. On the plus side, algae all gone!

Calzone said:
Aponogeton crispus red - does this flower? Mine appears to have sprouted a 1cm thick stem which is growing at 3 inches per day... Expect this will turn into a flower. The Anubias have two flowers now. But contrast, the Vesuvius never made it, and the crossocheilus have more or less eaten the rotala wallichi and pogostemon erectus. On the plus side, algae all gone!

yes mate it does flower, sadly not a very interesting flower.

darren636 said:
i detest people using fish to cycle a filter- hence fish-less ... errr... what is going on? i mean lets face it, fish -in cycling is a bad situation for an fish.
I Couldn't agree more, I really don't understand how or why anyone could put any fish or live stock in danger for the sake of cycling their aquarium? It's not as if this is the only way do get the job done. For me it completely goes against the idea of looking after, enjoying and keeping fish. :thumbdown:

Back