cambomba & elodia

Discussion in 'Plant Help' started by The-Wolf, 8 Jul 2007.

1. The-Wolf

The-Wolf Newly Registered

are there any species of Cabomba or Elodia, or indeed any other coldwater plant,
    that will thrive in subtropical water, say up to 26c?

2. Graeme Edwards

Graeme Edwards Founder Staff Member

Theres alot that will grow under 26 C, Have a brows through the Tropica website.
    http://www.tropica.com/default.asp

Plants such as Littorella uniflora, Lobelia cardinalis , Riccia fluitans , Vesicularia dubyana , Rotala sp. ''Green'', Ludwigia repens

The only real thing you will notice in lower temps is grwoth rate, it will be a little slower.
    Provide them with all they need at those lower temps and they will be fine.

Regards,
    Graeme.

3. Dave Spencer

Dave Spencer Member

I have had Egeria (Elodea) densa in a tropical tank that initially did very well, but after a while it became very leggy and started to turn brown lower down (this area was not shaded). It is called pond weed and I reckon it is in cold water tanks that it will thrive, if it weren`t for the Goldfish eating it.

Dave.

4. Ed Seeley

Ed Seeley Member

I've got two species of Cabomba, red and yellow, and they are growing in various tanks all around or below 26oC and they do fine. High light seems to be far more important for them.

As Graham says, I would think that almost every plant for sale as a tropical species would be fine at those kind of temperatures but like he said they will grow slower.

5. The-Wolf

The-Wolf Newly Registered

thanks guys, you've given me food for thought

6. neil1973

neil1973 Newly Registered

I have green cabomba at about 25 - 26C with no problems. Light is around 2wpg which i guess helps slow it up a little bit. Still grows quite quick though but looks healthy.