• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

cambomba furcata

markp35

just how difficult is this plant . i keep reading varying reports of it being anywhere from a total nightmare to medium difficulty.

in a tank running 2 full length t5s with pressurised co2 and EI dosing , how difficult is it really?

its a plant im seriously debating . i love the look of it but im a bit unsure wether to go for it or have something like limnophilia aquatica instead .

I've grown both 'red' cabomba (sold as C.furcata) and 'yellow' cabomba (can't remember the latin name given with that) in soft water and under around 2wpg T5 lighting. The red was nice but it grew leggy quickly (may have needed more intense light?) but the yellow stuff was superb. It grew more compact and horizontally and formed a really dense mass at the back of the tank. I'd use this stuff again (assuming I could find it) if I wanted a plant like this.

i think i may go with limnophilia aquatica , looking through google images im really liking the looks of this plant a lot . i may try some C. furcata in the midground tho .

Ed Seeley said:
markp35 said:
i think the yellow stuff is cambomba australis?

I remembered it was C.piahuyensis. Great plant.

That's it.
It is a lovely colour, quite unique.

Ed - I remembered you sent me some cuttings of it (along with lots of other bits... the echinodorus oriental are still sitting there in my midground years later :) )

Hi gang
On the subject of Cabomba.....I remember years ago when I was a boy fishing in the Clydebank Canal,
Glasgow, there were huge amounts of Cabomba on the surface and in great condition too.
Also, there were masses of goldfish sunning themselves on the surface.
I caught a 2-pound goldfish that day and put it in a bucket and traveled by 2 buses and the underground to get home and put it in a fish tank....what you get up to when you are kids ;):lol:
I gave it to one of the school teachers a few days later as he had a pond.
He couldn't believe the size of it :lol:
It survived to a good old age I heard.
hoggie

Back