• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Can an End of Tank Dump happen with a CO2 Generator/DIY CO2?

PyxlFish

Hi, I recently got started with CO2 setup in my tank using the FZone 4L Generator and I was wondering if these kind of lower pressure generators can experience an end of tank dump?
On initial setup with Bicarb and Citric Acid the internal pressure reaches about 450PSI and it has been about 3 weeks with the pressure now down to ~320PSI with a steady 50PSI on the output at 3BPS.
Im guessing I maybe have about another week or so of pressure left and was wondering if I should be concerned about the potential for an EOTD and wether I should end the reaction early, as it doesn't seem like the generator systems can use a duel regulator. On the FZone regulators it shows a small Red Zone at 0-50PSI and then the Green Zone is 50-300PSI

I've tried searching around but can't find much information about EOTD and DIY systems, so I'm not sure if its just a concern with high pressure systems or if it can happen in any system.

You are saying your system has a regulator... And that is the one, if single stage, causing the end-of-tank dump. CO² will regardless of its stored pressure behave the same, it does what it does... It's the single-stage regulator that can not keep up with what CO² does at the stage when a CO² tank is near depletion.

DIY CO² setups generally don't have a regulator, usually, they only have a needle valve and for convenience, the trade calls this the regulator. But it isn't, realy...

It is up to your regulator... If you don't have a dual-stage regulator, the end-of-tank dump is something you need to live with.

If an end-of-tank dump in DIY setups is equally dangerous as in pressurized setups I don't know...

Last edited:
I've linked the system I have below, they call it a regulator but wether it can be considered a proper regulator in the traditional sense I'm not sure.
I'll continue to keep a close eye on it and change out the reaction around 150PSI or so just to be safe.

Can you adjust the pressure showing on the output pressure gauge, and is the way of adjusting that separate to the needle valve adjustment? If so I’d say it’s a traditional regulator.

No, as far as I can tell it’s pretty static, I haven't been able to find a way to get it to go above or below 50PSI, it’s also unaffected by the needle valve adjustment.

50psi on the output gauge?! Are you sure. That would be very high. On pressurised CO2 it would normally only be about 20ish psi.

50psi on the output gauge?! Are you sure. That would be very high. On pressurised CO2 it would normally only be about 20ish psi.
Yeah, before this current reaction run, I did a smaller test run to get a feel for the setup and both times the output rises to 50PSI and stays there. I've attached a photo of both dials.
I thought the output on pressurised systems was between 50-80PSI, I guess not?

Output Pressure:
External.jpg

Current Internal Pressure:
Internal.jpg

Back