• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Can anyone recommend a light for a nano iwagumi?

Simon B

Hi!

I've mainly kept marine tanks over the years, but I went down a rabbit hole on YouTube a few weeks ago and I really want to try my hand at a freshwater aquascape! I'm absolutely loving the iwagumi style, and although I understand it's far from the easiest way to get your feet wet, I'd love to give it a go.

Long story short, it's going to have to be small and go on the kitchen counter and I really want it to be a bit on the budget side just in case I make an absolute mess of it! The tank that I'm thinking of is a modified Fluval Edge with the top glass removed, which is 43cm long, 26cm deep, and (approx) 30cm high.

It's probably going to be rocks and monte carlo, mainly. A few shrimp and maybe 5 or 6 ember tetras or chilli rasboras or something like that. I'd like to try CO2 with one of the citric acid/bicarb/solenoid things.

I've been researching lights over the last few days and I'm absolutely out of my depth! Whenever my research seems to come across one that would do, it's either not in stock anywhere or not sold in the UK, or wouldn't fit the tank!

I'm guessing I'll need a 30cm light as a 45 wouldn't fit the tank length. But I have absolutely no idea or experience about what sort of power I need to grow carpeting plants. If anyone was able to recommend a relatively budget friendly light that would fit on a 43cm tank and would do to get me going, I would really appreciate it!

I'll hope to put together a diary of progress as I go - hoping to pick up the tank in the next couple of days!

Hi!

I've mainly kept marine tanks over the years, but I went down a rabbit hole on YouTube a few weeks ago and I really want to try my hand at a freshwater aquascape! I'm absolutely loving the iwagumi style, and although I understand it's far from the easiest way to get your feet wet, I'd love to give it a go.

Long story short, it's going to have to be small and go on the kitchen counter and I really want it to be a bit on the budget side just in case I make an absolute mess of it! The tank that I'm thinking of is a modified Fluval Edge with the top glass removed, which is 43cm long, 26cm deep, and (approx) 30cm high.

It's probably going to be rocks and monte carlo, mainly. A few shrimp and maybe 5 or 6 ember tetras or chilli rasboras or something like that. I'd like to try CO2 with one of the citric acid/bicarb/solenoid things.

I've been researching lights over the last few days and I'm absolutely out of my depth! Whenever my research seems to come across one that would do, it's either not in stock anywhere or not sold in the UK, or wouldn't fit the tank!

I'm guessing I'll need a 30cm light as a 45 wouldn't fit the tank length. But I have absolutely no idea or experience about what sort of power I need to grow carpeting plants. If anyone was able to recommend a relatively budget friendly light that would fit on a 43cm tank and would do to get me going, I would really appreciate it!

I'll hope to put together a diary of progress as I go - hoping to pick up the tank in the next couple of days!
16.9 x 10.2 x 11.8..
approx 9 gal

i just have to ask this question first.

Why buy a Fluval Edge just to cut the top off? That defeats the entire design aesthetic and the main purpose for owning one. Might as well just sell the Edge and buy a common open top tank.
Note this is a small tank so it is unlikely that removing the top glass is problematic BUT it IS often used in strengthening a tank built with thinner glass than if it rimless.
What the glass thickness should be without a rim:
smtankglassthick.JPG

As to a light.. Give me a budget...

Last edited:
Thanks for the links - I'll give them a read.

It's a perfectly valid question - I certainly wouldn't buy a new tank just to cut the top off, but the dimensions of it are pretty perfect for what I want and I got it very cheap! There aren't a lot of tanks I can see with < 30cm depth, and the 26cm of the Edge is perfect for where it's going.

I get that the top may be strengthening, but I'm pretty confident it will be ok given the volume. If it was bigger, I wouldn't be so confident!

You could consider lighting with a Chihiros WRGB2 SLIM30. It is adjustable and therefore fits a 43cm tank and would get you going,
Ahh - thank you - I'll have a look - I thought the Chihiros ones were all non-adjustable, so that's interesting

I run a lot of Twinstar B(udget) lights. It is sold for 'fish tank' purposes and they recommend the expensive lines for plants, because.... you know....money.
The Twinstar B line is perfectly fine for a MC but also a HC carpet, or any other plant for that matter.

The Twinstar B 45 would actually fit a 43cm tank, hence gives you nice coverage across the length. The downside is the slimness of the unit (5.5 cm), even for a 26cm deep tank. Adding 2 lights would be a possibility of course. Great coverage, ideal for high energy tanks with stem plants and carpets.

The lights are dimmable, but requires an external controller. The Twinstar controller only enables dimming at a fixed intensity. The 3rd party controller is much better, allowing you to define the intensity for 8 time points during a day.

You can't change the colors of the Twinstar B.

Chihiros B series is adjustable both in length and intensity I think, it's for lower budget too. Or any of the higher spec chihiros as well, can't really go wrong.

Back